In an interview you will only see on The Brody File, Sen. Ted Cruz’s father says that when Ted was a young boy he would, “declare and proclaim the word of God over him. And I would just say, ‘You know Ted, you have been gifted above any man that I know and God has destined you for greatness.’”.

Rafael Cruz, who has been a traveling preacher for many years, spoke to The Brody File at a Perkins restaurant in Des Moines Iowa. (Yes, we will do an interview anywhere! What next? Donald Trump at a Denny’s?)

Our interview with Ted Cruz is coming soon. You won't want to miss it! Ted Cruz very well may run for president of the United States and you know what? The Teavangelical base of the party is there for the taking. He is causing quite a stir.

Now, while most high school boys are busy hitting the field or hitting on girls, Ted Cruz was hitting up the U.S. Constitution. During his teenage years the Senator from Texas memorized the document. He and a group of like-minded kids would travel around, giving what his dad calls, "patriotic speeches."

Rafael Cruz says those experiences developed a passion in his son. And that passion is what fuels his God-given purpose.

Mandatory Courtesy: CBN News/The Brody File

David Brody: Talk me about your son and his rise. This must be a thing of God. It's meteoric.

Rafael Cruz: (Ted Cruz's Father) Yes, but you know something, this is not something that started a couple of years ago. Let me go back to when he was maybe four. When he was four I used to read Bible stories to him all the time. And I would declare and proclaim the word of God over him. And I would just say, ‘You know Ted, you have been gifted above any man that I know and God has destined you for greatness’.

And I started making declarations about the Word of God over him every day. When he was eight years old I was very active in an organization called the Religious Roundtable. This was a coalition of Christians and Jews who was very instrumental in helping Reagan get elected. I was on the state board of the Religious Roundtable, so when my son Ted was eight years old, all we talked about around the dinner table was politics because I was so involved with the Reagan campaign.

So during that time is when I asked him so many times, ‘You know Ted, when I lost my freedom in Cuba I had no place to come to. If we lose our freedoms here where are we going to go? There is no place to go.’ As Ted enters high school the Free Enterprise Institute organizes a group of five kids, called them the Constitutional Corroborators, now Ted is reading the The Federalist Papers, The Anti-Federalist Papers, and each of the five kids memorized the entire U.S. Constitution.

So before my son left high school he was passionate about the Constitution. He was passionate about freedom and free markets and limited governments. And before he left high school he knew without a shadow of a doubt what his purpose was. And it was to defend and protect freedom and the Constitution, to fight for free markets and limited government.

And it became a passion in his life. So this is not a trajectory of three years, this is a trajectory of 30 years.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 12:28 PM

# RE: Brody File Exclusive: Ted Cruz’s Father Tells His Son: “God Has Destined You For Greatness”

Senator Cruz should know that our Constitution disqualifies from eligibility to serve as president, those not a “natural born citizen” born in the nation to citizen parents (plural), pursuant to Article 2, Section 1, “No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible … .” Exempting a “citizen” from being a “natural born citizen” is self evident proof the terms aren’t equal, as crafted on the advice of John Jay, to exclude foreign allegiance.

“Permit me to hint, whether it would not be wise & seasonable to provide a strong check to the admission of Foreigners into the administration of our national Government; and to declare expresly that the Command in chief of the american army shall not be given to, nor devolve on, any but a natural born Citizen.”
— John Jay, as written to George Washington at Constitutional Convention, 7/25/1787.

Demand Congress obey and enforce the Constitution!
Left by TeaPartyConservatism on Jul 22, 2013 3:08 PM

@TeaPartyConservatism
Wrong! He is eligible to become president!
Cruz was born in Calgary, and his father is from Cuba. But the Republican senator’s mother is from the first state of Delaware, which appears to settle the issue.
Left by gbx2010 on Jul 22, 2013 4:12 PM

# @TeaPartyConservatism

It's guys like you who have muddled the Tea Party message so thoroughly as to completely negate its effectiveness. You failed to understand its purpose and made it a catchall for your every grievance. For your information, it was formed around the simple concept of opposition to overspending, financial waste and fraud by the goverment. Such a narrow focus would allow it to attract a large coalition of concerned Americans who might otherwise disagree about many social issues. When you guys started to throw in all the birther stuff, abortion, gay marriage, immigration and etc (all worthy issues which should be fought as separate battles), the Tea Party lost the sympathy of millions. When the Tea Party began to stand for everything, it stood for nothing.
Left by MrAndrews on Jul 22, 2013 5:25 PM

# RE: Brody File Exclusive: Ted Cruz’s Father Tells His Son: 'God Has Destined You for Greatness'

I agree he is eligible, however, let me use the arguments that have been used for barry sotero.

Justice Thomas has stated that the Supreme Court is avoiding the issue of Natural Born.

Barry was born in Hawaii before it became a state or so they say. So his mother conveyed citizenship on him.

Ted Cruz IS eligilbe. Also I have not seen anyone defend the United States more than Ted.

I already have my bumper sticker on my car.
Left by sjd402 on Jul 22, 2013 6:12 PM

sorry these guys are RINOS there is no one in congress representing the conservative side
Left by fattyz on Jul 22, 2013 6:15 PM

Ted Cruz's father should instead have told his son, "Ted, you were born in Canada, so you're not a Natural Born Citizen but just refuse to address the issue and maybe it won't be an issue."
Left by John Giles on Jul 22, 2013 6:58 PM

This man is a jerk!
Left by vance on Jul 22, 2013 7:25 PM

God continues to give this nation a chance to turn from evil. Ted Cruz may be that next chance. Will we take it?
Left by RBuck on Jul 22, 2013 10:18 PM

I live in Texas and love Sen Cruz, but wasn't he born in Canada, so how can he run for president? I know that Obama never had to prove if he was even a citizen of the US but the Dems aren't going to let a Republican slide by
Left by rolandotx on Jul 22, 2013 10:50 PM

@GBX2010
Sorry but he is not eligible. I am a Cuban American born in Texas (hence a natural born Citizen) and I love Senator Cruz but unfortunately he is not eligible to run for President as he is not a "natural born citizen". Article 2, Section 1 clearly states "No person except a natural born Citizen......shall be eligible to the Office of President." I wish he could run but alas he can not, nor would I support the changing of that clearly stated fact. He was automatically eligible for citizenship after registration by his mother who was a natural born Citizen at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy but he is not a "natural born Citizen". While it is not clearly defined in the Constitution it has been understood to be born within the borders of our great country or a territory. If the understanding put forth by you were true then there would have been no debate about the birthplace of the worst President in my lifetime(59 years and counting), Barak Hussein Obama.
Left by Jorge Blanco on Jul 22, 2013 11:33 PM

It's OK for a Dad to say stuff like that... But, the fact is, it's all God all the time. That aside, I like what I hear coming from Cruz...
Left by Doc Lemm on Jul 23, 2013 6:00 AM

If he is serious he needs to get his nose straightened. The world of politics and winning is about image and media. Hollywood and its magic has put us where we are unfortunately. The voting audience is unlikely to change or smarten up! His nose is distracting when he speaks. Sadly Im not kidding about this. The world has been "prepared" by Hollywood to vote thanks to shows like American Idol etc.
Left by charlyboy on Jul 23, 2013 7:49 AM

Don't misunderstand me, I support everything Cruz says, but am very troubled that anyone believes they can essentially "command" God to make them Great and that Greatness in the eyes of God = power. There is no fear of the Lord exhibited by Raphael Cruz. Greatness is preceded by humility, not vanity a lust for power. We have all been betrayed by the inflated egos of men we thought good and God-fearing. I am concerned that Cruz may find himself believing he is God, just as so many others before him have.
Left by Ruth on Jul 23, 2013 8:38 AM

Ted Cruz isn't electable, he's got a very high opinion of himself which is obvious but not warranted.
Left by Don Willer on Jul 23, 2013 9:19 AM

Everyone wants to win, when it comes to their side of the debate. Even the law has no real meaning, if it gets in the way of getting what you want. The laws are always bent to favor the side you chose. Cruz is NOT the "Natural Born" citizen. Everybody can always debate the definition of a phase or word. Just ask the religious organizations if you don't believe me? If you join the club of any kind, you promote the ideology of that club's doctrine. Just try to change the doctrine, and see what happens? You will split the numbers.
Left by Redfray on Jul 23, 2013 10:04 AM

I will not vote for Mr. Cruz. If I'm to stupid to understand the phase "Natural Born Citizen", the law needs to make it clear. When the court system of America doesn't want to take up the challenge to correct our forefathers, I will stay with the meaning we all used years ago. Just because Obama will not fill out an application according to the law, doesn't mean I have the right to do the same. If we are going to change the meaning, it should be done by the law of the land, not the law of political differences.
Left by Redfray on Oct 07, 2013 4:29 PM

If you all refuse to accept the original Hawaiian birth certificate of President Obama, that was reluctantly shown for fear that even after it was shown it wouldn't be accepted, then what hope is there for faith? "Blessed are those who believe and have not seen."
Left by ddl13 on Oct 28, 2013 7:37 PM