Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

I wonder how the following comments will play out with conservative-leaning Independent voters who are thinking of voting for President Barack Obama especially in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin?

During Obama's congressional race in 2000, he told an assembled audience that he is against prayer in school. The quote is from the Hyde Park Herald in February of 2000. Obama says the following:

"I’m strongly opposed to school prayer, but not prayer. Public schools are not the appropriate place. … It goes beyond separation of church and state and goes to the heart of what we believe in.”

Stay in the know. Get The Brody File Weekly

I'm sure these comments don't come as any shock to conservative evangelicals but I wonder if they might resonate with Independents and Democrats in key swing states that are culturally conservative but tend to vote Democratic? Think Reagan Democrats.

Read excerpt from the original article below.

Hyde Park Herald Feb 2000

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:03 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama Against Prayer in School

What about Muslim prayer at schools? They pray 5 times a day! Is the President against them praying a school? I'd like to hear him on that. Children should be allowed to pray regardless of their religion.
Left by KellieC on Oct 25, 2012 3:44 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

Since when did we stop believing in prayer in schools? Why do we let anyone tell us about the separation of church and state when he doesn’t know what it really means? Especially when he makes fun of the Bible and take it out of context.
Left by OUIDA D. SAULS on Oct 25, 2012 6:38 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

obama PLEASE LEAVE MY COUNTRY NOW!!! YOU ARE NOT GETTING MY VOTE!!!
Left by Susan on Oct 25, 2012 7:50 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

There is NO such thing as "separation of church and state" = that is all a fraud, & acting pres.Obama is deceived by that term; & he uses it for an axcuse. I pray that God our Father get on Obama's conscience with a Damascus Rd experience. Thank you
Left by Jennine on Oct 25, 2012 9:41 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

My goodness,you dig up old news to try to sway voters , at least President Obama believes in the same Jesus of the Bible , unlike Romney who believes in a cult.Id rather vote for Obama than a blasphemer like Romney.
Left by grace88 on Oct 25, 2012 10:17 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

Every time I hear people moan about prayer supposedly was taken out of school I laugh. Just because one can't verbally pray out loud does NOT mean you cannot pray. Silent prayers are the most useful. So what if you can't pray out loud....that will never ever stop anyone from praying. And BTW when I hear God was taken out of schools that also makes me laugh...I thought God is everywhere. No matter what laws are passed or what others say. You cannot take God out of anyplace...he's God! Also I don't want religion allowed in schools at all....because if they allow the Christian religion in the schools then they have to allow all religions and I don't want some violent Muslims cleric coming to my kids school and spewing their insane violence or praying to allah in my kids presence. Enough said.
Left by RES1961 on Oct 26, 2012 6:44 AM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

OBAMNEY 2012!!...The Question: Does it matter which of these Wall Street PUPPETS you vote for?....Lets see...same Foren Policies, same War Policies,same suicidial Finicial Poilcies,same NO plan for the 16 Trillion dollar debt,same NO plan for the Falling US Dollar, same NO plan for our Run Away Inflation,same NO plan for Jobs, same stance on Abortion ie..Pro Abortion...Answer to Question: NO, IT DOES NOT MATER WHICH PUPPET YOU VOTE FOR,YOU WILL SEE NO CHANGE......OBAMNEY 2012!!...What ever happened to CHOICE???....infowars.com/how-to-steal-an-election-obamney-2012/ ...WWW.GARYJOHNSON2012.COM
Left by LukeB on Oct 26, 2012 1:33 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

1st, I'm not a supporter of Obama. But the question is, Is he against all praying in school, or just faculty led prayer? By faculty led prayer I mean a teacher starting class or school assembly with prayer. I believe personal prayer is something you should be able to do anywhere and any time providing your intent is not merely to make a spectacle, and that you are not stopping in a place that it would be unsafe to do so, (the middle of a street for an extreme example).
Left by FSA83 on Oct 26, 2012 11:46 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

Obama says he prays before making a decision, who does he pray to?
Left by Titi on Oct 27, 2012 11:50 AM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

Why do you say..."Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as they are approved."?
Ive hardly seen any of mine or anyone else's comments show up on the Brady report.Is it just because ther not noticed or because only comments that agree will appear? just asking.
Left by LukeB on Oct 27, 2012 12:08 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

This event happened in 2000, and you're posting it here in 2012. Is this news or Republican campaign propaganda. Because this is a Christian site, the gospel is the loser when you tether your message to a partisan bandwagon. It was God who made Obama president in 2008. With this much antagonism that you're promoting against him, what will you do if as is likely God makes Obama president again for a 2nd term? Will you apologize to your followers, or will you spin a story about how the devil has won in the election? There was a time that Christians in the UK fought tooth and nail to keep Sunday "holy" (i.e. no business or trading). They lost. Today Christians in America are fighting to ban sin by law. They will lose because that's not God's fight, that's not God's mission. "Go into the world and preach the gospel to every creature", Jesus said. To ban adultery in the world, to ban hatred, to ban gay marriage, and to oppose God's elect, that's not our mission. Just for the record!
Left by Voice on Oct 27, 2012 1:08 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

He was right, public schools are public for all people of all faiths. It's not needed that is why there are religious schools they may have prayer and christian or other studies as well. All through my public school education we had prayer and Bible reading in the morning but I now see it was wrong and not necessary in that setting and unfair to many attending to be a part of. President Obama is right and that's how I feel.
Left by Kelvin Wannamaker on Oct 27, 2012 4:22 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

why haven't the Romney video of 47% of Americans are victims and dependent on Goverment and fill they are entitled to food housing etc...
Left by twoluv on Oct 28, 2012 4:38 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

last time i checked the constitution of the united states advocates the separation of church and state, not am i aware of any legislation to the contrary. i believe my taxes should provide an education to all. i feel that prayer has no place in school as we are a land of many faiths. so if prayer is advocated, then muslims, buddhists, hindu's, sikhs.... and that diversity makes this a great land. anything else is ignorant.
Left by First Ammendment Supporter on Oct 28, 2012 10:01 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

President Obama is right there shouldn't be prayer in the public school system. Public schools reflect all ethnicities and religions therefore a Christian prayer and Bible reading would be inappropriate for some attending. I attended the public school system and we had prayer and Bible readings throughout my entire time I even read from the Bible and said a prayer after the reading. I see now how that was wrong and not necessary. We should not be forcing this where it does not belong. (do you ever put these comments up, I don't see any and I submitted one earlier kwannamaker@hotmail.com"
Left by Kelvin Wannamaker on Oct 29, 2012 8:26 AM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

this is to all those who think that Mormons do not believe in Jesus Christ. Our actual name is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are not a cult. If we are, well I have not been asked to drink kool-aid or give up my life for them. I would give up my life for Christ. I cannot understand how so many people can be ignorant of the truth about Mormonism. Not the propaganda that is put out there, but the true LDS member that loves God and Loves Christ and is willing to do His works. How many of you are willing to do His works? I read hate and anger and very ugly words. This is not what Jesus preached and this is not what a true LDS member stands for. Doing His works is what qualifies one to be a Christian, not just saying it, but actually living it.
Left by jlmasteller on Oct 31, 2012 8:39 PM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

I'm for prayer in schools,maybe if we did. Children wouldn't be so cruel to one another.This is in all schools.The kids would have a different attitude.Yes I beleive we should have prayer in all schools.That's how I feel.And God does exsist!!
Left by Linda715 on Nov 03, 2012 11:14 AM

# RE: Only on Brody File: Barack Obama against Prayer in School

Who is Jesus Christ to you? What is His relationship to God?
Left by Bill on Nov 04, 2012 8:19 AM