Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

In a one-on-one interview with The Brody File, Newt Gingrich says God is in control of events and explains that he prays before major speeches and debates.

“I think I had an epiphany in that sense of Christ coming into my heart, in my 20s, and I felt born again. I think it’s a very deep part of me, and something that leads me, for example, to pray before every major speech and before every debate.”

As for God being in control of events he tells me, “It’s always God’s will. That’s a point that my wife reminds me of regularly.”

The interview was done Tuesday morning in Tampa, Fla. Watch the clip below along with the full transcription.

Mandatory Courtesy: CBN News/The Brody File

Stay in the know. Get The Brody File Weekly:

Before all you Newt haters take shots at him just remember that forgiveness is a central tenet of Christianity. Evangelical Christians had the model of forgiveness displayed when Jesus Christ entered this world. You can judge Newt if you want but you really don’t know his business with God. Plus, evangelicals understand that nobody is without sin and that true contrition is an affair of the heart. God knows our hearts. We don’t.

If you want to understand specifically why many evangelicals are flocking to Newt (excuse the pun) read my detailed analysis here.

Newt Gingrich on Jesus and Catholicism.

David Brody: A lot of evangelicals, when they have their born again experience, they talk about an epiphany. I know it wasn’t an epiphany for you. What was the conversion for you like? It was a kind of process?

Newt Gingrich: I think I had an epiphany in that sense of Christ coming into my heart, in my 20s, and I felt born again. I think it’s a very deep part of me, and something that leads me, for example, to pray before every major speech and before every debate, because I really feel it. I gradually became Catholic, and then made the decision.

And I think it was about eight or nine years of going to the Basilica, supporting Callista, being absorbed by the Mass, beginning to be fascinated with the Eucharist, and communion and the unique role it plays in the Catholic experience, and just feeling the community, if you will. It’s a remarkably absorbing community, and created a sense of fellowship, and of comfort, and of being able to relax in a way that I had never experienced before in my life.

Newt Gingrich on God’s Will:

David Brody: And God’s role in all of this? Where you have been in this presidential race, to where you are today?

Newt Gingrich: Look, it’s always God’s will. That’s a point that my wife reminds me of regularly. I’ll say, ‘We should go do X,’ and she’ll say, ‘If it’s God’s will.’ She’s very Midwestern in the sense of don’t count your chickens until they’re hatched. Like primary night in South Carolina, which looked good on paper, the polls looked good, and I stopped for a minute on the campaign bus late that afternoon and thought, you know, whatever God wants, we have to think through what it means, and how we live it out, because I don’t ask for victory, I ask for God to let me understand whatever happens. And I’ve found that that has guided me through most of my life.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:21 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

Gingrich had better be praying hard.
From a News Report:
"House Minority Leader NANCY PELOSI is holding back some information on NEWT GINGRICH that could detract from his Presidential campaign..."When the time is right",she said. "I know a lot about him". Pelosi served on the Investigative Ethics Committee that investigated Gingrich for tax cheating as well as other things a few years ago.

www.infowars.com/pelosi-plans-to-reveal-information-about-gingrich-when-the-time-is-right/

www.infowars.com/pelosi-gingrich-will-not-get-the-nomination-there-is-something-i-know/
Left by LukeB on Jan 25, 2012 9:20 AM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

We shall see Newt. I trust God that we will not have a Mormon in the WH. We don't need his prophet in the WH. We need a man who truly knows God not one who knows about God. We need one who truly prays for God's guidance before he signs bills or makes speeches.
Left by KellieC on Jan 25, 2012 11:55 AM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

So now gingrich has gotten religion, isn't that nice? Does anyone suppose that this change may have something to do with his presidential aspirations? Sorry Dave, but it will take more than one or two "mea culpa's" to convince this skeptic. Right now I sure as hell wouldn't want him covering my back.
Left by Guy Betz on Jan 25, 2012 12:38 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

It's ironic that Newt Gingrich, a man who advocated the execution of drug dealers in America, would also claim to be so close to God. If God is in control, he might have a reason for drug dealers to be here. So what right does Newt have to send them home to meet God before their due time? And given the healing effects of Cannabis, I'd say that people who make cannabis available are part of God's army, and those who demonize cannabis are, well, a demonic army.

In my view, cannabis is the Tree of Knowledge mentioned in Genesis, and the plant is still an eye-opener. Its nutritive effects on the central nervous system help all parts of your body communicate with each other and the brain more efficiently and with less impedance, and Newt Gingrich wants to have people killed who try to sell this plant, and he wants to imprison users of it in rehabilitation facilities against their will.
Left by Phanes on Jan 25, 2012 2:24 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

I think the average voter sees an obese person and he thinks of glutoney. Look at Chris Christie. Gingrich is no different, Romney looks like he has some self control Gingrich not so much. Obama looks athletic like Romney. I think this can be exploited.

Left by quirky on Jan 25, 2012 8:06 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

Well, another tenet of Christianity is "knowing them by their fruits." Dont get me wrong, I dont hate the man...but I am very concerned over what he has been associated with. Can he be forgiven for his adultery? He can be forgiven for everything! However, he has stood, lock-step, with almost everything I stand against in this election. For that erason, I will absolutely NOT give him my vote. I will go third party before I give him my vote.
Left by Deacon Blues on Jan 25, 2012 8:18 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

Oh yeah...one last thing. Read through Romans 1-3 and ask yourself, "Are we under God's judgment right now?" And then you can understand how we have a current version of King Saul in office. That should give you pause when it comes to this next election. Be sure of the person you give your support to...
Left by Deacon Blues on Jan 25, 2012 8:20 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

Newt: I accepted the Lord when I was young. I'm your age now. And right after that my world, my mind and my decision making power, went straight into combat and I was overwhelmed. I made many bad decisions. I too fell into lust and it has taken me a while, a long while, to defeat what was programmed into me because of that fall. But, I with the Lord, have overcome this and I can see that in you. If you become the president please note and remember well that I will be the loudest voice in the choir to see to it that you are reminded daily of God and His son. When you bumble I will be in your face and when you rise up I will be there to join in helping you rise. I love you Newt....do not go back on your word. The full measure of God's weight is now set, face to face, with America. If 'Ninevah' repents, it will live; if 'Ninevah' does not repent, it will die. Be strong in your faith and in His words and He will direct your steps.
Left by punkinman on Jan 26, 2012 1:00 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Newt Gingrich Says God Is in Control of Events

Is CBN endorsing Gingrich? Why don't they interview Ron Paul who is a Christian? Is it because it's been said he's "unelectable"? They said Reagan was unelectable.
Left by lindal on Jan 26, 2012 7:49 PM