Exclusive: Gingrich to Evangelicals: My Past Weaknesses Make Me 'More Normal'

In a one-on-one interview with The Brody File, Newt Gingrich says that he has “not hidden from the facts of my life, that I have confessed my weaknesses” and he believes that, in part, is a reason why evangelicals are able to get behind his candidacy.

He goes on to say that, “it may make me more normal than somebody who wanders around seeming perfect and maybe not understanding the human condition, and the challenges of life for normal people.” (Dig at Romney???)

The interview was done Tuesday morning in Tampa, Fla. Watch the clip below along with the full transcription.

Mandatory Courtesy: CBN News/The Brody File

Stay in the know. Get The Brody File Weekly:

Some may scratch their heads wondering how and why Newt Gingrich could be resonating with a wide swath of evangelicals but it’s a fact. That was proven to be true in South Carolina and if he wins in Florida it will be in large part to evangelicals who are working tirelessly behind the scenes to spread the good word about Newt. There will be a big pastor conference call this week and many more evangelical-type events including some church appearances.

If you want to understand specifically why many evangelicals are flocking to Newt (excuse the pun), read my detailed analysis here.

Newt Gingrich on the Forgiveness of Evangelicals.

David Brody: I’m curious; when I talk to evangelicals they bring up the word forgiveness. They say you know what, the media wants to bash you for the past, for some of the marital issues of the past, but yet, when I talk to evangelicals, they’re like been there, done that, regarding forgiveness. And that is very important. What does that say to you? The sentiment of forgiveness from evangelicals?

Newt Gingrich: Well, I think it’s important. It’s also important that they recognize that I have not hidden from the facts of my life, that I have confessed my weaknesses, and that I have had to go to God for forgiveness and for reconciliation. And I think most people can identify, either with themselves or with loved ones, that life has moments that are very sad, you wish wouldn’t have occurred. And you look back on them and you seek forgiveness for not having done everything you could have.

So, I think in that sense, it may make me more normal than somebody who wanders around seeming perfect and maybe not understanding the human condition, and the challenges of life for normal people.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:42 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Gingrich to Evangelicals: My Past Weaknesses Make Me 'More Normal'

I am a 62 year old man and have been married 39 years to my wife, and never cheated on her. Of the men I participated in church with, over the years, I can think of only a few who ever fell into adultery, and I don't know of a single one who carried on an affair for years. Mr. Gingrich might be "normal" compared to a random sample of politicians, but he is way down at the left tail of the bell curve when compared to the people I know who believe in Christ and try to live as Christians.

The behavior of Mr. Gingrich goes beyond yielding to a moment of temptation. To sustain his affair over a long time, he had to do it as a calculated deception. He also did it by abusing his authority as Speaker, taking sexual favors from a subordinate. The ultimate hypocrisy was in his pressing Bill Clinton for impeachment while he carried on his own affair.

No, as in many other things, Mr. Gingrich is exceptional--exceptionally bad. He dishonors normal, faithful men.
Left by coltakashi on Jan 25, 2012 11:00 AM

Christ died for those who hate you as much as He died for those who love you. We need to repair this country and get the country back to acknowledging the Lord. Has not the Lord contributed to our welfare? Did He not give us a constitution through the blood sacrifices of our founders? Has He not suffered with us through these last two hundred years of trial and error? Let this country go on in His Name! Did not General George Patton order up prayer for good weather so he could engage the enemy in combat? Did he not acknowledge that our God provides even for our struggle against evil? If Gen.Dwight D. Eisenhower can pray to the Almighty God of our ancestors, the God of the Bible, the Father of Jesus the Anointed One and Redeemer, then surely the commander-in-chief can see who provides for our victory,but not barack Obama,for Obama worships 'il-allah' the moon god. A word of caution for Newt: Do not go back on your promises. Be wise in the use of your tongue. Pray for wisdom. WISDOM.YES
Left by punkinman on Jan 25, 2012 1:40 PM

Oh come on. At least two extramarital affairs and probably many more. A six year affair at one point. Brings divorce papers to his wife's hospital bed.....I mean, really. You are insulting "normal" people by making it sound like everyone is sleazy, and it's just not true. My situation is exactly like coltakashi.....never been unfaithful in 30 years of marriage.

You do realize that there is an actual faithful christian with morals in the race, right? Why all the ethical gymnastics? You'd rather forgive a toad over and over than select the right candidate?
Left by Skeptic on Jan 25, 2012 5:47 PM

Exactly what part of forgiveness and repentance involves trashing your ex-wife to make a political point. Newt is nothing more than a wolf in sheep's clothing. He is as arrogant and self-serving as he has always been.
Left by jahanzelka on Jan 26, 2012 2:36 PM

I have no qualm about Newt seeking forgiveness. I am happy for him. However, that is between he and his ecclesiastical leader. I can only go by what has been his track record thus far. I will not gamble on what his choices might be in the future. It is so critical right now that we vote for an honest, stable and reliable leader that can win. I have far more respect for someone that has chosen to live an honorable and decent life because they understand the importance of their choices, particularly when it comes to family and country. One does not have to commit adultery and ethics violations to understand mankind. It is a sad day when someone uses their past sins to cast a shadow on someone else that has chosen to be faithful to their wife and family.
Left by Laura on Jan 27, 2012 7:20 PM

My daughter pointed this article out to me on her smartphone a few days ago and I couldn't believe it was true. I had to search it out for myself. I didn't trust Mr. Gingrich before but a man who would excuse his behavior by saying it was "normal" to be an adulterous/cheater must think very poorly of most people. I wouldn't want him any where close to the White House much less in charge thereof.
Left by klr56 on Feb 01, 2012 2:17 PM