Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

Rick Perry is out of the GOP presidential race. But quite frankly, he was out of the race the night of his “Oops moment” in Michigan. All he did today was make it official.

The Brody File has said all along that the moment Perry got into this contest it was his race to lose...and he did an excellent job of doing just that. The "Oy Vey" campaign has ended. Mercifully.

There are a few lessons to be learned in the failed candidacy of Rick Perry. First of all, it doesn’t matter how many boxes you check (and Perry checked a lot of boxes) because if you can’t consistently articulate your message, you’ve got no chance. You only get a certain amount of times you can make mistakes on the campaign trail before a narrative begins to form about you. Perry was way over the limit on mistakes.

There’s another lesson that the media might be able to learn here about evangelicals as well. Just because Rick Perry wore Jesus on his sleeve and spoke like an evangelical didn’t mean he was going to get their vote. Evangelical voters are more sophisticated than that. They are looking for a strong, competent, well-rounded candidate who is electable and is solid on both the fiscal and social issues (not just the social issues).

Most evangelicals understood that while they liked Perry and would love to have him in their Bible study, he wasn’t ready for prime time. Simply put, he didn’t measure up. If Perry had minimized his verbal mistakes and appeared relatively coherent during his run, things may have turned out differently, especially among evangelical voters. Instead, evangelicals and the broader Republican base couldn’t stomach his ineptitude on the campaign trail.

The fact that Perry will endorse Newt will give the Gingrich candidacy a major boost. Some of Perry’s supporters may go over to Santorum but most will probably head over to Gingrich (especially because Perry is throwing his support Newt’s way).

In essence, what we’re starting to see now is a Romney/Gingrich two-man battle unfolding. If Gingrich can pull it out in South Carolina, then we really have a race on our hands. Remember, Gingrich got a bounce in the polls after Monday’s debate and now with Perry off the debate stage tonight in Charleston, that just gives Gingrich more airtime to flourish in an environment that he has been so good in. It could end up making a huge difference with just 48 hours to go.

If Romney wins South Carolina, we will watch to see how close Gingrich is if he comes in second. A strong, close second place means this race probably turns into a serious Romney/Gingrich fight in Florida with Newt making an all-out effort to stop Romney along the I-4 corridor.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:16 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The "Oy Vey" Campaign

Perry has from his supporters something perhaps no other condidate has. He has our heart. i do believe his early performance was impacted by his back surgery, but he is not one to make excuses. You know polls show voters see Romney as more conservative than Perry...shows voters should be paying more attention. Please pray for voter discernment and that we will vote God's will for America. Perry is a good man, a strong leader, a Connservative. America has not seen the last of Rick Perry.
Left by Gerry on Jan 19, 2012 11:42 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The "Oy Vey" Campaign

I am glad Perry is out, not because he is not a great speaker. I don't care about that. Sure Romney and Gingrich can speak very good but look what they have done and stand for. Why don't you mention Ron Paul? He has been consistant and will be great for America. A breath of fresh air instead of the same old same old. If Romney or Gingrich gets in we will loose again. I think their followers should hold their noses for Ron Paul this time so we can WIN. Afterall we people that are for Ron Paul and what he stands for are the real conservatives and want America back. People like me who want real change in the right direction have held our NOSES for DOLE,MCCAIN, and BUSH. So it's their turn now. I am one of those far right republicans that will not hold their nose again. I just will vote another party. Both parties have made it impossible for a third or fouth party by imposing a "Winner Takes All" when the election is held. I know what they have done and others have also. Traitors
Left by sawhite on Jan 19, 2012 11:47 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The "Oy Vey" Campaign

We shall see what happens since ABC will be airing an interview with Newt's ex-wife the Sunday before the primary in SC. Could this be a planned sabotage by the Left?
Left by KellieC on Jan 19, 2012 12:29 PM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

I like Rick Perry. I thought his comments today as he suspended his campaign were gracious and his vision still matches that of most conservatives, and in many ways his policy ideas are better than that of the other candidates. I did not plan to vote for him because I do not think he could win. The media? Oh, yes, they are attempting to run this whole show. I will be glad when they leave our state (SC).
Left by Fritzie on Jan 19, 2012 6:53 PM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

I had been saying that Scotland does not belong to UK and has own laws, ways of the maths, they are good, and schooling system. They celebrate New Year like the best of the days unlike most as I have worked for the Scottish firm. THE CP is different. My friend “Let's be clear about this. If you Scots want full independence, then you should be allowed to decide the matter by your own referendum. However, any kind of "third option" that involves restructuring of existing financial arrangements with other parts of Great Britain (NHS, welfare state, taxation, road & infrastructure funding etc) should not be left for the Scots to decide alone as it involves everybody else. You can't just expect to cherry pick the best bits of society to walk away with! All or nothing I say, and personally I hope you stay - unity is strength. Besides that, as an Englishman I'm proud that you're part of Great Britain, and would be sad to see you leave! Incidentally, will it mean that we'll have a proper bord
Left by Mullar on Jan 22, 2012 3:20 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

We may be in a better position to think now that Russia does not endorse the Arab Spring, what that was, I have no idea, I used to see grass only. Euro zone finance ministers told Greece on Saturday it could not go ahead with an agreed deal to restructure privately-held debt until it guaranteed it would implement reforms needed to secure a second financing package from the euro zone and the IMF. Euro zone ministers had hoped to meet on Monday to finalize the second Greek bailout, which has to be in place by mid-March if Athens is to avoid a chaotic default. But the meeting was postponed because of Greek reluctance to commit to reforms. Instead, the ministers held a conference call on Saturday to take stock of progress on the second financing package, which euro zone leaders set at 130 billion euros back in October."There was a very clear message that was conveyed from all participants of the teleconference ... to the Greeks that enough is enough," one euro zone official said. "There is
Left by Mullar on Feb 05, 2012 6:48 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

Now we see some change in the world of leaders. Women are coming in. They have sympathy that I know but how much the advisers tell them that remains to be seen. Mexico's ruling party on Sunday chose a former congresswoman to run for president, the first time a major party has nominated a woman to compete for the nation's top office. The National Action Party's vote for Josefina Vazquez Mota over two other candidates sets the race for Mexico's July 1 presidential election. The two other major parties had already selected their candidates. Vazquez Mota, 51, faces an uphill climb against former Mexico state Gov. Enrique Pena Nieto, the front-runner in the current polls who could return Mexico's long-ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI, to power after a 12-year hiatus. “Flatter me, and I may not believe you.
Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you.
Encourage me, and I will not forget you. Love me and I may be forced to love you.”~ William A
Left by Mullar on Feb 06, 2012 1:36 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

This is the week in which Angela Merkel’s “grand bargain” is due to reach fulfillment at the European summit. On one side of the bargain, the eurozone will be required to accept Germany’s demand for “fiscal union”.Why Economists are Rooting for Inflation I have no interest in politics and I am a simple man earning small bread for the month. Why Bernanke and others are after the poor I have no clue but the best part is they are winning doing that always believed that the wine and honey when kept more in the casks become better . USA has had the best IT, yes but like all one day the fall is sure. I wonder if that is true. Members of the Transport Workers Union (TWU) were scheduled to vote on a new contract with American Airlines, or AA, this December that would have lowered the airline’s cost and outsourced hundreds of jobs that weren’t directly related to aircraft maintenance. They never got the chance because American instead filed for bankruptcy. On Wednesday AA announced it planne
Left by Mullar on Feb 06, 2012 9:39 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

The U.S .population, which was one-third smaller than Russia's at the time of the Revolution, is now 313 million and growing: "The Soviet Union put the United States on the ideological defensive for the first time in its history. ... In November of 1917, V. I. Lenin led the Bolsheviks to
control of Russia in 'ten days that shook the world.' Now in putative control of a huge nation, the Bolsheviks saw themselves as leaders of a global movement to liberate people everywhere from bonds forged in the American and French Revolutions of the late eighteenth cen¬tury and fastened on the limbs of workers in particular during the Industrial Revolution of the nineteenth. Lenin defined imperialism as 'the monop¬oly stage of capitalism' and 'a colonial policy of monopolistic possessions of the territory of the world which has been completely divided up. We only want to keep on thinking kicking Greece and not use any other method. "Whether as supporters or critics, Americans paid close attention
Left by Mullar on Feb 08, 2012 3:55 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

I am Muslim I have four wives. How many kids? When you have top is telling you how many kids you ought to have we have problem, Looks like they know my income. Chinese did not see the birth control as a religion. It was food, water an overall shortages of everything hence the birth control But here we have a new one. Amid a backlash from many Catholics and proponents of religious liberty, President Barack Obama announced Friday that his administration will not require religious institutions like hospitals and universities to provide free contraception to their employees in their health insurance. Speaking to reporters at the White House Friday, Obama offered a compromise that would "As a citizen and as a Christian I cherish this right," Obama said. "I saw that local churches did more good for a community than a government program ever could." Socialism was made a dirty word in the UK in 1980s (under Thatcher), but who is to say what system really works in this day and age (if any) - al
Left by Mullar on Feb 10, 2012 5:51 PM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

White Coats, White Lies: How Honest Is Your Doctor? I simply do not care. In Arusha Tanzania, East Africa, we had a doctor called Dr. Jayant Dave. He always smiled and greeted you very well. He would look at you laughingly no malice not knowing you but simply smiles. He would ask you few normal question then give you white Paracetamol., You are not well he will give you a green one , then if you still complain, he would say, “Look this is very strong and has to work, you better drink lots of water , laugh, reduce your all tensions, and come and see. After 15 day. We never went. Why? His promise. Whether this was right or wrong we have no idea but the trick worked and we were cured. Now if the doctors behave in this manner many would get better faster. After all it is the cure we seek. I thank you Firozali A.Mulla DBA
Left by Mullar on Feb 11, 2012 7:40 AM

# RE: Rick Perry: The End Of The 'Oy Vey' Campaign

Great but I have no idea who Rick Perry is but I can tell you one thing The election in USA are exepensive and many try to hide the cost. Obama budget declares election-year tax battle. And we believe that with the small budget in USA folks win? That is a joke. Here we go again, more of everything. What exactly he is saying is, “LOOK FOLKS WE LOST A LOT IN THE PAST YEARS, THIS YEAR I THINK WE OUGHT TO SPEND LESS ON THE ELECTION” bravo and huge spender in the States will buy that? I love this one but well leaders know their limits. Even if you raise taxes on the "wealthy" to 100% you would not make an appreciable dent in the deficit, and certainly not the debt (which in October exceeded our total yearly economic output). Higher taxes are not the answer. Simpler tax code, less loopholes, smarter regulations, and less federal spending is the answer I thank you Firozali A.Mulla DBA
Left by Mullar on Feb 11, 2012 10:18 AM