Herman Cain's Home Run at the National Press Club

Herman Cain went to the National Press Club today and did what does best: Administered straight talk and no-nonsense answers.

While there are still some outstanding questions regarding this Politico story about alleged sexual harassment by Mr. Cain, Cain didn’t back down and spoke succinctly and directly about the allegations.

From The New York Times:

Herman Cain called the accusations of sexual harassment against him “a witch hunt” and said he had been falsely accused while the head of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s.

Declaring at the National Press Club that he “would be delighted to clear the air,” Mr. Cain said that he is unaware of any settlements paid to his accusers.

“It was concluded after a thorough investigation that it had no basis,” Mr. Cain said to questions by Mark Hamrick, the president of the press club after Politico first reported on the allegations. “I am unaware of any settlement. I hope it wasn’t for much, because I didn’t do anything.”

Mr. Cain’s comments were similar to ones he made earlier in the day during a Fox News interview. They came after a speech in which he talked about foreign policy and about his “9-9-9″ tax plan.

In the press club remarks, Mr. Cain said that he had “recused myself” during the investigation into the charges made by the women. He derided the report in Politico as being based on “anonymous sources.”

Instead, Herman Cain went to the National Press Club (Daniel in the Lion’s Den?) and once again showed why GOP primary voters have warmed to him. He’s an engaging, straight shooter who talks with optimism in his voice. You think Mitt Romney would like to bottle some of that?

And speaking of engaging, Cain was asked to belt out a little tune in is trademark baritone voice at the end of the session with reporters. He obliged, saying he wanted to share his faith and while Letterman and Leno (and the Democratic National Committee) may have a little fun with the clip in the short-term, I predict that his national singing debut will actually resonate in the heartland of this country.

Think about it. Herman Cain singing about Jesus and "Amazing Grace" to the press corps? How sweet the sound! (Separate question: Were any smelling salts given out to the press after Cain began singing? Just curious.)

The name of the song is, "He Looked Beyond My Faults." The lyrics are below:

Amazing grace will always be my song of praise
For it was grace that brought me liberty.
I can not know just why He came to love me so;
He looked beyond my faults and saw my needs.

I shall forever lift mine eyes to Calvary
To view the cross where Jesus died for me.
How marvelous that grace that caught my falling soul;
He looked beyond my faults and saw my needs.

I shall forever lift mine eyes to Calvary
To view the cross where Jesus died for me.
How marvelous that grace that caught my falling soul;
He looked beyond my faults and saw my needs.
He looked beyond my faults and saw my needs.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 2:17 PM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run At The National Press Club

Herman Cain is a mighty warrior who overcomes with praise his enemies. God Bless Herman! On to the primaries and then on to th WH! A true Christian in the WH!
Left by KellieC on Oct 31, 2011 4:28 PM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run At The National Press Club

Normally, I would dismiss this sexual harassment thing, especially since it allegedly happened back in the 90s, but then I think about President Clinton's sexual harassment and how Righties went ape over it. The way I see it, what goes around, comes around. Though nothing has been proven, it's sure worth looking into in light of that Hannibal Lecter moment of Mr. Cain's latest campaign ad.
Left by josta45 on Oct 31, 2011 5:09 PM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run At The National Press Club

Continue to entertain with your singing because after these sexual harrassmen­t allegation­s the position of president is like a pipe dream--muc­h like it was before, but now further.
Blame yourself!!
Left by josta45 on Oct 31, 2011 5:29 PM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run At The National Press Club

How embarrassing would it be to have our POTUS break out in song during a serious negotiation with another country? Cmon man!
Left by josta45 on Oct 31, 2011 5:35 PM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run At The National Press Club

Awesome!
Left by Betty on Nov 01, 2011 1:36 AM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run At The National Press Club

IF HE DOESN'T MAKE PRESIDENT HE CAN MAKE IT AS A WORSHIP LEADER.
Left by patricia on Nov 01, 2011 6:05 PM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run At The National Press Club

I don't know if am not Christian enough or what but what you (Mr. Brody) call 'straight talk no nonsense' answer I call it a roundabout answer. Talk of 'witch-hunt, false accusations' makes me shake my head especially since it appears to be true. It's good he sang a christian song but that does not excuse him from telling the truth.
Left by shiku on Nov 01, 2011 6:45 PM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run At The National Press Club

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen
Nobody knows my sorrow
Nobody knows the trouble I've seen
Glory hallelujah!
Sometimes I'm up, sometimes I'm down
Oh, yes, Lord
Sometimes I'm almost to the ground
Oh, yes, Lord
What he should have sung..
Left by Popi on Nov 02, 2011 8:44 PM

# RE: Herman Cain's Home Run at the National Press Club

Can't believe the judgemental people in the comment section. I guess "innocent until PROVEN guilty" is out the window with most Americans these days!

As for comparing this to the Clinton scandal, Bill Clinton WAS PROVEN GUILTY! Big difference! Not only that, he used his office while serving as President of the United States--then LIED about it when questioned under oath.

The alleged incidences with Cain are just that and happened 15+ years ago.

As for the song, Mr. Cain was ASKED to sing and he obliged. I doubt he'd just "break into song" at an important meeting.

I also believe Mr. Cain is a brother in Christ. Shame on some of the ways CBN News has handled these and other stories - regarding Cain and others.

I used to respect CBN. Now it's become like the rest of the mainstream media. I feel like I've just discovered the death of a dear, old friend. :-(
Left by LisaW on Nov 13, 2011 7:18 PM