In an exclusive interview with The Brody File, GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain says he would support a pro-life amendment to the Constitution and would use the bully pulpit to push pro-life legislation.

He also said he now supports a federal marriage amendment to the Constitution.

Herman Cain met with me one-on-one for a few minutes after the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition event in Des Moines, Iowa.

You can read watch the interview and read the full transcription below:

David Brody: What is the lesson that you are learning from all of this would you say?

Herman Cain: The lesson that I’m learning is that I’ve got to be careful of being pigeonholed because people can take a piece of tape and edit out the first half and only pull out one snippet that could start a firestorm. The tape that you are referring to, I said specifically, ‘I am pro-life, from conception, no abortions, no exceptions,’ but they only focus on a later part of it where they were trying to pigeonhole me with a specific situation.

So, the lesson learned is beware of being pigeonholed, because you know they can pull it, and take it out of context.

Brody: Are you for some sort of pro-life amendment to the Constitution that in essence would trump Roe v. Wade?

Cain: Yes. Yes I feel that strongly about it. If we can get the necessary support and it comes to my desk I’ll sign it. That’s all I can do. I will sign it.

Brody: (In your Faith and Freedom speech) You mentioned marriage as well so you’re also, just so I understand, you’re for a constitutional marriage amendment as well?

Cain: I think marriage should be protected at the federal level also. I used to believe that it could be just handled by the states but there’s a movement going on to basically take the teeth out of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, and that could cause an unraveling.

So we do need some protection at the federal level because of that and so, yes, I would support legislation that would say that it’s between a man and a woman.

Brody: The social conservative groups, one of the things they’re telling me is that they want a president that’s going to use the bully pulpit on the life issue. It doesn’t mean you have to get bogged down on all of this, but they want to see a president if not advance the legislation, at least use the bully pulpit to talk to America about this issue. What’s your sense on that?

Cain: I believe that the office of the presidency and the bully pulpit should be used for that because I happen to believe that we have many instances where, if you appeal to people’s hearts, you can change their minds.

I had the experience of visiting a facility in Houston, Texas not too long ago. It was a women’s facility, I can’t remember the name. I happened to be there that day, what they do, they work with young ladies who have gotten pregnant and they think they want an abortion. It was so moving to walk in there, and they introduced me to a young lady who had decided not to have an abortion, and see that pretty baby there.

If you touch the hearts of people you can get people’s minds to change, but you have to show them the beauty of not aborting a life. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the greatest leaders this country has ever seen. How did he bring about the movement that resulted in the Civil Rights Act of 1964? He touched the hearts of people.

That’s what a president needs to have the ability to do, in order to change peoples’ minds.

Brody: As president of the United States, you can be a business man and also somewhat of a social conservative warrior as well?

Cain: Yes. You sure can. You sure can because if people trust you, they will believe in you and they might rethink some of their thoughts on some of these social issues.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:13 PM

# RE: Herman Cain Exclusive: Tells Brody File He Will Support Constitutional Amendments on Life and Marriage

I love what Herman Cain states. But I would be even more impressed if he adds that all sexual intercourse should be either for money, or be deemed a marriage. That is the oldest and most beautiful institution in the world, but it has been continually dragged down by cumulative innocuous amounts in the last 100 years. Marriage now stands powerlessly, ready to be slaughtered,and replaced by those other fashionable relationships between 'partners'.
But given the style of world we live in, sexual intercourse is nicely poised to be a vibrant part of the economy of declared income. Intercourse is then just another transaction to be registered, with taxable conditions applied. It makes perfect sense because conception occurs at or soon after intercourse, and the legal status of that unborn person is not deemed to exist until born. If a child only has a legal identity after leaving the womb, we keep all new citizens legally vulnerable to 9 months of peril.That is the real wrong.
Left by Deborah on Oct 23, 2011 12:18 AM

Sorry Herman, but these should be States rights!
Left by GFWSR on Oct 23, 2011 10:44 AM

Herman Cain is right that we are vulnerable and need protection from homosexuals. I'm afraid to leave my house in the morning because there might be a homosexual outside ready to pounce on me. I'm scared and don't believe an amendment will be effective enough. We must stop people from exercising the wonderful gift of free will that God gave to all of us. Sex police in every bedroom is the only solution.
Protect me from the homosexuals Herman Cain!!
Left by GMO on Oct 23, 2011 11:04 AM

Someone should tell Mr. Cain that amendments to the constitution aren't signed by the president like a bill. For someone who professes a strong allegiance to a strict interpretation of the constitution, he should know this.
Left by Kevin-McKague on Oct 23, 2011 11:22 AM

Herman Cain said, “Yes. Yes I feel that strongly about it. If we can get the necessary support and it comes to my desk I’ll sign it. That’s all I can do. I will sign it.” He should read up on the constitutional amendment process (http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution/): "Since the President does not have a constitutional role in the amendment process, the joint resolution does not go to the White House for signature or approval."
Left by PMcJ on Oct 23, 2011 1:41 PM

Another day means another position on major issues for Cain. I haven't seen someone change their positions so many times since Romney (whom Cain supported in 2008). Cain's rapid vacillations tell me he hasn't really thought these things through and that he's not firmly committed to what he's saying now.

But what if he is? We have all been talking about a pro-life Constitutional Amendment for 40 years now since Roe v Wade. Reagan couldn't get it done. Presidents can't amend the Constitution. It's VERY difficult to do and I think it's a failed strategy. It sound real good though, like you're really going to do something.

Then there's packing the Supreme Court with pro-life judges. But it's hard for a president to get those he likes (Reagan tried to get Bork). When they get their choice it doesn't always turn out right (Reagan appointed Sandra Day O'Connor and Kennedy who were both pro-choice). Then there's the reluctance of most judges to overturn previous cases. This has also failed
Left by dknc12 on Oct 23, 2011 2:34 PM

continued
Asserting the 10th Amendment against Roe v Wade & making it a state issue (as is murder in all other forms) would immediately make it illegal in most states. We have shown that we can fight and win at the state level but NOT at the federal level.

Ron Paul, Congressman & Obstetrician, has staunchly & publicly opposed abortion for decades. I have come around to Paul's strategy as one that would actually make pro-life progress. Watch his ad. He can touch hearts on this issue - even those that haven't been touched by Jesus.

We've been doing the same failed strategy for 40 years now. It sounds good for candidates like Cain to talk about Federal solutions like Supreme Court Judges and Constitutional Amendments. But he will never be held accountable for those things because he doesn't have the power to do it. Nothing will be done

Don't you think it's time we re-think what we doing and get some results. Isn't it better to save babies in 30 states than to let them die in all 50?
Left by dknc12 on Oct 23, 2011 2:49 PM

I'm concerned that Mr. Cain appears not to understand the relationship between the Office of the President and the requirements for the passage of a Constitutional Amendment. A president has very little to do with the passage of an Amendment.

I urge Mr. Cain to request a knowledgeable person educate him as to what the Constitution is and means.

Thank you.
Left by Rheihart Moxon on Oct 23, 2011 5:32 PM

By the way, since Life begins at inception, does that mean a foreign couple, who have just wed and are in America on their honeymoon, can conceive a child here and that child immediately has American Citizenship from the moment of conception onward?
Left by Rheihart Moxon on Oct 23, 2011 5:35 PM

You can't say that you support state's rights only when you personally approve of those rights. That's not how it works. The Supreme Court has already made it clear that states cannot pass discriminatory laws that disenfranchise a group of citizens: interracial marriage. At one time over 30 states had bans on interracial marriage, and over 70% of the public disapproved of race mixing. I'm wondering if any of this sounds the least bit familiar to Mr. Cain?
Left by David in Houston on Oct 23, 2011 11:18 PM

PRESIDENT BACHMANN 2012 & VP HERMAN CAIN!!!!!!!
This is EXACTLY what this nation needs to keep it from going to hell in a handbasket like it has been! And for you nominal "Christians"---SHAME ON YOU for desperately trying to insult Mr. Cain for having higher moral standards than you! How in the hell, or should I ask WHY are you making lame comments on a CHRISTIAN website when you know JESUS CHRIST HATES THE SIN THAT IS HOMOSEXUALITY AND commands THOU SHALT NOT KILL (abortion KILLS unborn HUMAN LIFE--no matter HOW the UNBORN HUMAN LIFE was conceived)!!!(I know, Herman Cain has spoken Truth, and it does not fit your "lifestyle.")
Well, the sweet thing about deciding to be a true follower of Jesus Christ is that it's never too late to start (genuinely).
It is so sad that you still don't get it that: GOD CANNOT BE DECEIVED!!! Not even by the best of the libtarded, pro-abort LIARS. "First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. Then they fight you, and then you win." --- Ghandi
Left by quovadis on Nov 01, 2011 12:00 PM