Update: Reaction to Obama's Bin Laden Speech

To Brody File readers: I don't normally do this. As a matter of fact, I think this is the first time ever. But I want to amend my previous comments below regarding President Obama's remarks about Osama Bin Laden's death.

As you will see below, I wrote about how President Obama should have shown some happiness and joy when he delivered the news to the nation about bin Laden's death. Maybe I should have read Proverbs 24:17 before I wrote that.

Proverbs 24:17 says: "Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice."

President Obama actually lived by that important biblical verse by the words and tone he used. I did not and for that I apologize. While I do believe that his remarks were measured so as not to cause more commotion in the Arab World, I got a little caught up in the euphoric celebrations of the evening. The Book of Proverbs got it right and therefore so did President Obama. Pulling out the Bible is the best thing you can do and I wish I had done it sooner.

(My previous comments)

With the death of Osama Bin Laden, Americans woke up this morning with a little more pep in their step. Our chests stick out a little further today. We are proud to be an American today. Not all of us for sure but most of us.

Why? Because when we Americans say we’re going to do something, we follow through and do it. We said we’d get bin Laden and kill him and, lo and behold, we did just that. It took nearly 10 years but so what!

Around America late Sunday night and at the breakfast table this morning you can sure there were hugs, handshakes, tears, and jubilation. President Obama’s HUGE announcement last night was a proud and happy moment for our country yet I was struck by President Obama’s words and tone last night.

His speech made no mention of any sort of proud accomplishment and it certainly made no mention of how exciting this moment was for our country. I know President Obama understands that getting Bin Laden doesn’t mean an end to the war on terrorism but how about a smile? How about showing a little joy? How about a word or two saying something about how this is no doubt a happy or joyous occasion for Americans?

We got nothing like that at all. Instead, we got Mr. Monotone. Mr. Bars and Tone. Mr. Non-Emotion. President Obama missed an opportunity to connect with Americans last night.

So why did he announce the big news like he was reading the dictionary? You know the answer. It’s because his speech wasn’t so much aimed at Americans. He was being careful of how the “Arab Street” would interpret his remarks. Any hint of gloating or happiness might be rubbing it in the face of some of the crazies in the Arab World and heaven forbid we get them upset! How dare we Americans look like we’re celebrating his death! The travesty of it all!

Give me a break. Isn’t it time to stop catering to thugs?

Politically speaking, there’s no doubt the killing of bin Laden will be a major boost when it comes to President Obama’s poll numbers and yes, even his re-election chances. The truth is bin Laden was killed on his watch under his directives. That’s a big deal and should not be underestimated.

Still, what strikes me here is that Obama will get the credit for getting bin Laden even though this was a 10-year effort. (By the way, Obama never mentioned President Bush by name last night. Shouldn’t he have done that?) This wasn’t solely Obama who should get the credit.

Conversely, Obama gets much of the blame for high gas prices when the reality is he shouldn’t get all the blame either. It’s more complicated than that.

But in America (and especially in the media) we love to christen people as winners and losers. In that sense and under those guidelines, there’s no question that President Obama is the big winner politically. But in a larger, more patriotic sense, all Americans are winners today.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Monday, May 02, 2011 8:09 AM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

I agree with most of your comments, but I think you should watch his speech again. Seems like you missed a few things, for example, he did mention Bush.
Left by yeahthatsme on May 02, 2011 8:43 AM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

Matthew 6:14-15 (New International Version, ©2011)

"14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

Left by rjw918 on May 02, 2011 10:45 AM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

Actually, President Obama did refer to President Bush by name. He also gave credit to the intelligence community, the military, etc. The fact that this happened under his watch and he will get credit is no fault of President Obama's and not a fair ground for criticism.
Also, I really think that his tone was professional. Killing Bin Laden was taking care of business and a warning to future would-be terrorists. Do you really think smiling or gloating at the announcement would have been appropriate regardless of the audience?
This was an important announcement, given by our President. Quit sniping; it reflects poorly on you.
Left by GetItRight on May 02, 2011 10:59 AM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

Umm, he's the Commander in Chief, not the Macho Man in Chief.
Left by Anonymous on May 02, 2011 11:46 AM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

President Obama DID mention President Bush by name in his remarks. He also gave credit to all those unnamed people in the intelligence, military, and security communities.
Anything other than the professional tone of President Obama last night would have been inappropriate. Remember, he ordered the attack and the killing. This is not a football game, it is real life and real death. Our president should not come off looking like a thug.
I certainly do not agree with everything that President Obama does, but he deserves to have the facts accurately reported/commented on and he deserves respect for showing us the gravity of the decision - as opposed to smiling and whooping.
Left by GetItRight on May 02, 2011 12:17 PM

"Do not rejoice when your enemies fall,
and do not let your heart be glad when they stumble." Proverbs 24:17

As Christians, there can no celebrating, no dancing in the streets, no joy, in relation to the death of Osama bin Laden. In obedience to scripture, there can be no rejoicing when our enemies fall.

President Obama's sober announcement was far more appropriate than the celebrations around the country, although I do not judge those who celebrated.
Left by Julia's mom on May 02, 2011 1:17 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

I think you will agree that there is NONE perfect but God--In The Blessed Name of Jesus. This is an accomplishment and an on-going situation. So perhaps you could give some positive insight as to how the matter(s) may be addressed and executed when the next "closed door" meeting is in session. As you know, Ultimately, God is in Control. We are truly Blessed! Pray for the President and his administration.
Left by Gloria Ward on May 02, 2011 1:55 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

Wow! Reading an article here about President Obama is pretty much like listening to Fox News. It is always negative. In fact, if the president says it, then it will always miss the mark. How about giving credit where credit is due and reporting the president's speech correctly - like some of the bloggers have done. You do not have to like a persons politics or them to do that. However, when you are a Christian you are commanded to walk in love! Think about it.
Left by lindy on May 02, 2011 2:49 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

I find this petty, snide and un-Christian. The killing of a man no matter how heinous is not a time for smiling or gloating. President Obama thanked everyone and show special class when he called GWBush to tell him before going to the media. For you to write this post shows how political and mean spirited you are. A simple 'Thank You' would have sufficed.
Left by SYSPROG on May 02, 2011 3:42 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

I am not saying this with a pro or anti Pres. Obama support slant, simply an observation. I did not detect self promotion as suggested from Mr. Brody. Pres. Obama responded the way I expected a CINC would, (I am AF), and doled out a lot of well deserved credit to contributors. (Even Bush!) I struggle with journalism on occasion not because I expect to read things I agree with, but because sometimes it seems someone is just looking for something to pettily pick apart. This article seems to me an example. I also laugh at how easy it is to be a critic and write scalding reviews on a leader’s “performance.” I realized leaders inherently signed up for scrutiny at every turn, but seriously. In my opinion on this particular speech, leave him alone. I do take solace in the fact Obama’s term, good or bad, will go down in the history books. The critic is oft forgotten.
Left by Tonyazcat17 on May 02, 2011 3:45 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

BTW.. I agreed with several of you that the excessive celebrations looked bad. I was cringing imagining how uncultured and uncivilized we looked. It looked no different to me than a jeering mob scene in Somalia, Afghanistan, name the place when they have killed or damaged our troops or equipment. I too am happy, but yeah, that was over the top! Take care folks!
Left by Tonyazcat17 on May 02, 2011 3:53 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

i lived thru 9-11 in NYC. i am relieved that bin laden is neutralized permanently. my living the teachings of JC prevent me from celebrating this assassination.

again, i am glad and relieved. it was justified but the sight of the celebrating disturbs me greatly. i felt as somber as obama and agree with 9-11 widow who expressed similar emotions.

i know that you watched the speech but, as usual, you look for or make up things* to criticize this president. *he spoke of W.

W had 8 years, including the time before he had a chance to set up such an elaborate hiding place. obama got it done in a little over two. who really wanted to do it and who wanted a reason to goad us into war and the senseless killing of 10's of thousands of people who had nothing to do with bin laden or terrorism.

i find your reporting far from the teachings, love and peace of jesus christ. obama sounds more like his disciple. i pray that you will grow to be of his heart and spread love not hate.
Left by thinkformyself on May 02, 2011 5:12 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

I THINK ITS ABSOLUTELY A SHAME THAT YOU CANT SAY ONE POSITIVE THING ABOUT OUR PRESIDENT.HIS SPEECH WAS VERY GOOD, AND HE WILL GET CREDIT FOR HIS PARTICIPATION AND DECISION MAKING IN THIS HISTORIC CAPTURE.EXAMINE YOUR HEART ARE YOU PREJUDICE MR BRODY ?????
Left by grace88 on May 02, 2011 5:34 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
Left by deedrdo on May 02, 2011 6:04 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

Mr. Brody, perhaps you'd feel better if our President hung a Mission Accomplished Banner, donned a flight suit, thumped his chest a few times and then broke out into a jig? Grow up, that kind of theatrics only works on stooges.

The president handled this situation with competence and grace and all the respect due to him, his office and his accomplishment.
Left by Jilli on May 02, 2011 6:18 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

SHAME ON YOU DAVID BRODY FOR WRITING NOT THE TRUTH.

But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ
Left by livingright4life on May 02, 2011 6:31 PM

# RE: Obama's Bin Laden Speech Misses Mark

I wish a CHRISTIAN writer, would represent CHRIST in honoring our nation's leader, and recognize that there is wisdom in his words, tone, and sobriety. It is really time for the partisan fog to be lifted, and for our Lord to be glorified in the love we show, rather than the continual judgements.

Your critique is disappointing. And petty.

"Do not rejoice when your enemies fall,
and do not let your heart be glad when they stumble." Proverbs 24:17

Left by inghram on May 02, 2011 8:28 PM

# RE: Update: Reaction to Obama's Bin Laden Speech

Brody, looks like you missed the mark again, but at least youtried to clean it up.
You'll get another chance to make amends, we'll be watching.
Left by josta45 on May 03, 2011 4:57 AM

# RE: Update: Reaction to Obama's Bin Laden Speech

Mr. Brody, you took alot of heat but showed, in my opinion, the guts to step up and amend the record. Good on you bud.. I am also glad you and inghram reminded us of this important life lesson. Cheers!

Left by Tonyazcat17 on May 03, 2011 7:38 PM

# RE: Update: Reaction to Obama's Bin Laden Speech

For one, I don't like being yelled at.

Some don't know that when they type all caps in email venues, that is
seen as yelling, visually. It is not just me, it is the pretty universally accepted protocol. I know, I probably am making the mistake of
thinking helpful information will be accepted in the spirit given.

Some like to receive critical information -- it is something they can change/ do something about. But, thank God, it is still a free country.

Left by laney on May 21, 2011 10:26 AM