Exclusive: Donald Trump to Brody File: 'I believe in God. I am Christian.'

Watch the EXCLUSIVE clip below. The transcription follows.

MANDATORY COURTESY: CBN NEWS/THE BRODY FILE

In an exclusive interview with The Brody File, Donald Trump discusses his views on God, going to church and storing all the Bibles he receives in the mail.

Trump is seriously considering running for president and he'll need Evangelical votes in the GOP primaries if he's going to be successful.

I spoke with Trump in New York a few days ago. My full 6-minute piece on the enthralling Donald Trump interview will air across the country on "The 700 Club" Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. on the ABC Family Channel. (Check your local listings) You can also go to www.cbn.com at 9 a.m. ET Tuesday morning to watch the story as it airs live.

The Brody File is releasing only one video clip today in advance of "The 700 Club" story. Another clip will be released Tuesday morning by 8 a.m.

There is so much material in the interview, but tune in to "The 700 Club" to hear Trump talk about his past failed marriages, his views on the Koran, civil unions, Roe v. Wade, and many more topics.

Trump will also be the sole focus of this week’s 30-minute Brody File show where you can see a lot more of the interview. (The show will be released Wednesday morning)

(See Brody File analysis below the transcription)

David Brody: You talk a lot about business obviously, but talk to me a little bit about how you see God. How you see God in everything from what happened to your brother (he died of alcoholism at the age of 42) to how your life is today.

Donald Trump:I believe in God. I am Christian. I think The Bible is certainly, it is THE book. It is the thing. I was raised and I gave you a picture just now and perhaps you'll use that picture I found it from a long time ago. First Presbyterian Church in Jamaica queens is where I went to church. I'm a protestant, I'm a Presbyterian. And you know I've had a good relationship with the church over the years. I think religion is a wonderful thing. I think my religion is a wonderful religion.

Brody: I understand a lot of people send you Bibles. Is that true?

Trump: Well I get sent Bibles by a lot of people.

Brody: Where are all those Bibles?

Trump: Actually, we keep them at a certain place. A very nice place. But people send me Bibles. And you know it's very interesting. I get so much mail and because I'm in this incredible location in Manhattan you can't keep most of the mail you get.

There's no way I would ever throw anything, to do anything negative to a Bible, so what we do is we keep all of the Bibles.

I would have a fear of doing something other than very positive so actually I store them and keep them and sometimes give them away to other people but I do get sent a lot of Bibles and I like that. I think that's great.

Brody: Do you actively go to church?

Trump: Well, I go as much as I can. Always on Christmas. Always on Easter. Always when there's a major occasion. And during the Sundays. I'm a Sunday church person. I'll go when I can.

Brody File analysis:

Donald Trump has piqued the interest of some Evangelical leaders. His bold talk is something conservative Christians like to hear. Remember, Evangelicals tend to operate in a world of biblical absolutes. Their world is very black and white. Not many shades of gray.

That’s how Trump sees the world, too. A match made in “Heaven?”

The fact that he has expressed conservative positions on abortion and marriage will make him even more intriguing.

Does Trump have some landmines? Of course. Who doesn’t in this GOP field?  But Evangelicals seem ready to listen to what he has to say.

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 2:48 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Donald Trump to Brody File: “I believe in God. I am Christian.”

I don't automatically vote for the loudest Christian candidate, I vote for the candidate whose policies are most likely to make it easier to practice my Christianity.

That being said, I'm willing to give The Donald a chance to demonstrate how he might foster that environment. This should be interesting.
Left by beezdotcom on Apr 11, 2011 3:53 PM

# If only.....

If only belief in God was the criteria for salvation. Repentance and trusting in Jesus only is Biblical salvation. I am fascinated by Mr. Trump and appreciate his honesty and the way he faces issues head on. I don't think the answer to this country's problems is to have a Christian as president, the answer is for his people to fall on their faces and pray for a move of God on people's hearts and His mercy poured out in salvation. And frankly, if all the Republicans can do is trot out the same old/same old people (Gingrich, Romney, Huckabee, etc.), I will absolutely be looking for someone else to vote for because these guys are just DC insiders and we need change, not more of the same.
Left by mom25 on Apr 11, 2011 4:03 PM

Sounds a little weak to me. SO ask him...just who is Jesus Christ to him, If he were to die tonight where would he go and if he chose door # 1 (Heaven) then ask just why God would let him in?
Left by Opinionated on Apr 11, 2011 4:07 PM

I remember Trump as being an open adulterer who runs casinos. He's never seemed like a Christian to me. Anybody can say they're a Christian.
Left by Bill Sundling on Apr 11, 2011 4:10 PM

# RE: Exclusive: Donald Trump to Brody File: 'I believe in God. I am Christian.'

Hooray for Mr. Trump! I knew there was a saint buried underneath that sinner! Thank God there is a good Catholic website broadcasting this Good News!
Left by UncleJethro on Apr 11, 2011 4:34 PM

Since when does believing in God make you a Christian? Couldn't that also make him a Muslim? Don't they also believe in God?

I didn't hear anything in his interview that would lead me to believe that Mr. Trump is a Born Again Christian.
Left by Scott Hansen on Apr 11, 2011 4:45 PM

Just what we need, another Jerry Falwell. Bible thumping isn't going to fix the economy, it has no place in politricks, no place in economics. We as a group cannot live in black and white, we are many shades of grey.
Left by jr on Apr 11, 2011 4:47 PM

How about doing a profile on a man who truly practices CHRISTIANITY and observes his marital vows Dr. RON PAUL unlike Trump, Gingrich, and the rest of the hypocritical Republican gang!
In 2008 I saw him when he was a speaker at the Pro-life D.C. March - not once did he mention he was a Presidential candidate. He stressed that as a OBY-GYN that in more than 4000+ deliveries he never had to sacrifice the life of the mother nor the baby.
Left by ART on Apr 11, 2011 4:49 PM

The President says he's a Christian, too. God's the final judge, not us. Jesus said, though, in Matthew 7:16, "You shall know them by their fruit." I didn't see an orchard of fruit. I didn't see a tall gleaming tree filled with choicest fruit, characteristic of what we'd expect of the Trump Towering Tree.

If Mr. Trump is indeed a Christian, and it's not for me to judge, then it's a shame his fruits aren't as visible as everything else he's done in his lifetime pursuit of money and self-aggrandizement. Maybe I'm missing something. I can only hope.
Left by Commoner on Apr 11, 2011 4:53 PM

Let's see, he claims to be a Christian, but doesn't actually go to church all that much. And apparently in reading all those Bible's he's received he skipped over the parts about adultery, or sleeping with women out of wedlock. And there is that part about it being easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven. Also forgot about the parts about not bragging about oneself and to be humble. He'll never be President. I think he's just drumming up ratings for The Apprentice.
Left by arguethefacts on Apr 11, 2011 5:02 PM

Satan also believes in God. Big deal. Doesn't make him Christian.
Left by AlbJones on Apr 11, 2011 5:09 PM

"I think The Bible is certainly, it is THE book. It is the thing." - Interesting testimony. Interesting view of "religion". Interesting view of how he sees the "Church". Unfortunately some are fooled by these folks (like Trump) into believing that they speak on behalf of Jesus. That they speak on behalf of righteousness. Republican, Democrat, Indy, or TP or any other organization or company who believe they own the righteousness of God. You're mistaken. He's not mocked. I encourage prayer for Trump, for Congress, The President, candidates for government, America, and the World. None of us can own the righteousness of God, only yield to it, testify truthfully of it, and demonstrate it. I suspect many of us might be shocked to find that whom we deem not worthy, God deems worthy. From Foxnews to MSNBC, we all will give an account. It's not worth wanting to be President so bad to lie to get it and not worth having your side win so bad as to mislead to get it. God is not mocked.
Left by Alley on Apr 11, 2011 5:10 PM

I find Donald Trump's choice of words very interesting. Words help us to understand what is in a person's heart. Mr. Trump said,"I think religion is a wonderful thing. I think my religion is a wonderful religion." A true Christian would have said that Christ is wonderful rather than religion. Here is the scripture to back up that statement.

1Peter 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, (KJV)

I am not trying to be critacal of Mr. Trump, but I care about Mr. Trump's spiritual well being and he cannot find his way to Christ unless he truly knows where he stnds now.

Spike
Left by Spike on Apr 11, 2011 5:45 PM

Let us remember there is a difference between being "Christian" and being born again!
======================
Buck
http;//www.seedcatalog.com
Heirloom Seeds, 'How God grows His garden."
Left by TheWatcher on Apr 11, 2011 7:03 PM

# Don't Trust Trump

Hi Everyone, Trump is playing the GOP. Don't fall for it. Check out this link to see why:

Left by Pastor Will on Apr 11, 2011 7:06 PM

Oh, wow. I'm so very impressed. Those words were so sincere & from the heart it brought a tear to my eye. Wow... He stores bibles somewhere "special". Gosh, give me that box of tissues & tell me where's my voting card? I gotta get ready to mark an "x" next to Trump's name.

PS: And don't forget what we learned from Obama... If he said it on TV, it must be true!!

Lloyd Christmas
Left by Chad C. on Apr 11, 2011 7:18 PM

...Back off, ye Scribes and Pharisees, give the Holy Spirit a chance to work His grace. Even the Apostle Paul couldn't 'pick 'em'. I suggest let born again Christians earestly pray for his salvation. God works in mysterious ways. Let VP candidate Allen Rep-Fla get a chance to share the Gospel with him. Jesus is no respector of persons. What a turnaround for America !!!!
Left by jim ross on Apr 11, 2011 7:19 PM

If you believe in big government and corporatism and believe that God's word has nothing to say about deficit spending, endless war ( basically the platform of godless democrats/republicans and autocrats) then vote for trump .
Left by CeleriterAdHostem on Apr 11, 2011 8:19 PM

Unless Donald Trump sat in Reverend Wright's church for years on end, it's simply not possible that he is a Christian.
Left by driveby_poster on Apr 11, 2011 9:03 PM

It's time to stop looking for Political Messiah's. Mom 25 has it right. We are told to repent and turn from our evil ways, then God will bring healing to the land. 2Ch7:14. Also, we are told pray for leaders. They are just weak men made of flesh and bones. Our hope can never be put in them. It is time for American Christian to put their hope back in God and not the political system. Yes, vote, but don't look to Washington to bring righteousness to you and the nation. When Paul asked Christians to pray for their leaders, Nero was emperor of Rome. He was not some righteous character. Is Trump a real Christian? I have my doubts. Is Obama a real Shristian? I have my doubts. Was Nero a Christian? No. The onus, the responsibility, is not on the leaders, it seems to be on us. I think this should wake us up. Are you praying? I sure don't pray enough for our leaders and there are things all of I am sure of need to change our minds about and then start living in more godly way?
Left by Expat Voice on Apr 11, 2011 9:36 PM

so what is it? Do you keep them or give them away? Make up your mind sir!
And so what if he gives them all away. Hopefully to people that will read them and learn what the Bible really says about repentance and truth.
This guy would not get my vote.
Left by SaysWhat on Apr 11, 2011 10:40 PM

I don't have anything against Donald Trump however I'm always amazed how infrequent you hear someone like him, who professes to be a Christian, saying anything about Jesus Christ. If he would have said that Jesus is his Lord and Savior, then I would have been real happy.

Even if Obama were a Muslim, he too could say he believes in God; over 95% of the worlds population believes in a god. Donald should read Matthew 7:21 and understand that it is CHRIST and the relationship with Him that makes one a Christian.

In the long run it's really between him and God as to whether he is a Christian. I do pray that he has bowed his knee and accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior so that when he gets to heaven he'll get to see what a REAL mansion looks like! :-)
Left by JDA on Apr 11, 2011 10:41 PM

After two years of hearing Obama and the whole crowd of traitors that surrounds him junking Christianity, junking religion, and at least trying to junk God, it certainly is pleasant to hear someone speak like a traditional American about the traditional beliefs and practices of Americans. It's like an injection of an antibiotic into an infected body, or maybe like spraying for mosquitoes in a murky swamp to hear Trump speak this way, so clear and so plain. Is he just saying what the people want to hear? Since the grossly unfairly biased and controlled news media is obviously going to be dismissive of him when push comes to shove, it's unlikely that he'll say anything that can't be backed up by facts and evidence, dig as they might.
Left by marcus on Apr 11, 2011 10:46 PM

y'now....this is not only insulting to me as A Born again Christian spiritualy,its insulting to my intelligence,Mr. Trump,exactly who do you think your fooling here?,cause your not fooling real Christians,and your certainly not fooling God,your only fooling fools and yourself
Left by metalzboy on Apr 11, 2011 11:26 PM

Folks, we are at a critical time in our country's history ... there is evil in the White House and the seat of our government. I have been praying about this and pleading with God to deliver us from the takeover of our government and the overthrowing of our Constitution.

Jesus said "he who is not against us is for us" .. unfortunately this is not true for Barach Obama, he is for Islam, and he has repeatedly done everything in his power to resist coming into the light regarding his background, as well as failing to keep virtually all of his campaign promises. This is not a man of God.

Donald Trump is a patriot who loves America, he is a very experienced Chief Executive, and while I would not go to him for spiritual guidance, I would have no qualms about trusting this man with the Presidency. He will not lead us into a ditch, and he will not rob us or force ungodly laws upon us, to fund abortion or other ungodly programs. He does not need taxpayer monies for social engineering.
Left by James on Apr 11, 2011 11:33 PM

Based on this interview I would not select Trump for a position of church leadership. However, the US presidency is no such position. In my opinion, we need a God-fearing man of sound wisdom, intelligence, strength of character, good judgment with conservative economic, political and moral values. Above all else, we need a strong leader who will lead this country in the right direction WHO IS ELECTABLE. My concern with most of the GOP candidates is that they are unelectable for one reason or another. It is important that we nominate someone who not only has the right character and positions but who also has a great chance of unseating Obama. Unfortunately, as great a man as he is, I think Dr. Ron Paul has had his chances and has not demonstrated that he can be elected. (Perhaps his son might someday have a successful run at the Presidency.)

I am intrigued with Trump and believe we need to keep an open mind about him as he might well prove to be one who fits the bill.
Left by BPB in Austin on Apr 11, 2011 11:59 PM

First of all Donald Trump is a wise Business man and he see's who is taking advantage of our country . Unlike Obama who I to believe "if he was born here than "WHAT IS HIS PROBLEM WITH SHOWING HIS BIRTH CERTIF"???? WHY DOES HE AVOID IT < FROM DAY ONE HE HAS AVOIDED IT,SENCE HE RAN FOR OFFICE HE"S AVOIDED IT, WHAT IS HE HIDEING???????" And who is anyone to critizise Trump on going to Church , The Bible says : You can go in your closet and Pray as long as you believe .You are all here to critizise Donald on what he has to say about the Bible or being a christian. And Tell me What kind of gleaming fruit tree did you see Obama pull out of his hat ? What people all over our Country out of work now? Gas at $7.00 a gallon? Cutting benifits for the Eldery.The only one I no that sat in Rev Wrights chuurch playing the roll every week was Obama and I have to say he's the Biggest Fake going !!!!So who is anyone to talk about Donald Trump ??
Left by Patti on Apr 12, 2011 12:09 AM

Luk 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven

Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Left by dawie on Apr 12, 2011 12:20 AM

PRAY FOR MR. TRUMP THAT HE IS SAVED AND USED OF GOD....PRAY FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY
Left by James Harris on Apr 12, 2011 12:24 AM

Belief in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus saves (1 Cor 15:3-4). Nothing more than belief is necessary for salvation (John 3:16). Salvation is free. That means it costs NOTHING (Rev 22:17).

You can't compare the Devil to people. He lives in eternity. We live in time. What he believes is a moot issue.
Left by jefflisap on Apr 12, 2011 12:24 AM

Since when?
Left by Aval on Apr 12, 2011 12:52 AM

You cannot serve God & mammon.

Donald Trump is no more interested in serving God than is the current circus clown occupying the Oval Office.

Do I hear an 'Amen'?
Left by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2011 1:33 AM

his actions speak louder than his words,if you want to know who's a Christian and who's not,just read Galatians 5:22
Left by metalzboy on Apr 12, 2011 2:07 AM

RUN DONALD RUN !!! WHOOO HOOOO yeah, baby!!
Left by josta45 on Apr 12, 2011 4:01 AM

He says I'm Christian, kinda like I'm American. Doesn't say I'm a Christian. I'm just saying.
Left by anamefortheblock on Apr 12, 2011 4:57 AM

I hope Christians will be smart enough to realize that someone will be elected, with or without their support. We cannot sit on the sidelines with our arms sanctimoniously folded because no candidate is holy enough. At the very least, you should vote for whoever is less evil. Yes, that is not the most inspiring way to go, but if we don't, we will just get more and more evil. I have been a candidate for office before, and during every city election the church just sits it out and lets our town go further and further toward Gomorrah. It is a microcosm of our nation. If you want better choices, get involved earlier and help change the local parties, where all political change starts. In the meantime, I will be supporting a different candidate in the primary. But if given the choice between Donald Trump and Barack Obama, I'll vote for Trump. Obama MUST go!
Left by Don Marsh on Apr 12, 2011 5:36 AM

I think Trump is saying what he needs to say to attract evengelical Christians. However, I do hope he considers himself to be a Christian. One reader said No Bible Thumpers in the White House! Well, stick with Obama, dude. Trump the great money making businessman would sure know what to do about our economy, and about the Chinese who now own us; and he is far, far from being a socialist. We'd find him stimulating business instead, for he knows that is where jobs are found. I am not on Trump's bandwagon, but, honestly, who among the GOP crowd could beat Obama? Nada. None. No one. It's the same old bunch of wannabes that we've all become tired of...
Left by tomwinfield on Apr 12, 2011 1:27 PM

Sir, when people attack Islam, they are attacking the Islam that is manifested in our actions, especially Muslim leaders. When people attack the Prophet of Islam, they are attacking the very distorted image of the Prophet which is extracted from sources most Muslims to this day deem them to be second most reliable. And when people attack the Quran they are attacking the very twisted interpretation of the Quran which to this day exists in most Muslims' sources. This is the same twisted understanding that kept most of Muslims enslaved for centuries by thugs and despots.
Left by CAIRbuster on Apr 12, 2011 2:25 PM

These posts saden me. Especially the judgemental ones. If you know more than Trump about sin, then you would have read and studied your bible. It seems that some of you have not even heard of King David.
Left by Forgiven on Apr 12, 2011 9:12 PM

Oh that's interesting, I always thought it was colonialism and the resulting (US supported) dictators that "kept most of Muslims enslaved for centuries by thugs and despots." I must have missed the history lesson on that one...
Left by pleasethink on Apr 13, 2011 3:33 AM

I‘ve seen a difference in Trump’s behavior over the past few years, too–yeah, he’s doing and saying different things now than he has in the past.

However, instead of assuming he‘s faking it because he’s out to gain something for himself, have you considered that there may be an alternative explanation for his change? One that those of us who are Christians should be familiar with…?

It’s definitely possible to attend church without being a Christian. I think that perhaps it’s only recently that Trump began to develop an actual relationship with Christ, and that he’s just plain… new at it. He doesn’t know how to express it well. He’s a baby Christian, taking baby steps, but since he’s also Trump, he’s taking them in his own inimitable way, and those steps are coming across as insincere where in truth they’re just …clumsy.
Left by Some Say... on Apr 13, 2011 4:14 PM

We had better pray according to 11 chron 7:14 .We spend a lot of time trying to find the candidate who we think will scratch our back just the way we want, and there is no such person. President Obama has been in office almost 4 years, and all Ive ever heard about him is that he is the worst president ever, never hear about any one praying for him. So I guess we have some racial bias going on even in the church. We need to humble ourselves repent and seek GOD.
Left by grace88 on Apr 13, 2011 10:29 PM

Great post grace88, fact is ,if the complainers had somebody better, he would be in there. Instead they are still floundering around, hoping against hope.
Left by josta45 on Apr 15, 2011 4:18 AM

Soorry, Donald, going to the church when he has time or every Easter Sunday, is not represented as true Christian. If his show would ashame people saying "You are fire" in front of people, it is not true Christian way to handle the business. And, what he'd do with all the bibles in his house?
Left by jrapp2011 on Apr 21, 2011 9:54 PM

Donald Trump is a good person he helps the poor, he has fed storm victims, sent food to all different towns when there has been tragedy. His religious views should not be judged by all of you, because you will be the first to be judged by God for judging him. I can truly tell all of you that God and Jesus Christ both exist as I had something Happen to me prior to surgery and their presence was revealed to me in a magnificent way! The way to Christ is to repent your sins, ask him into your heart, tell him you make him your Lord and Savior! Jesus is the Truth and the light of the world! Not everybody goes to heaven! By accepting Christ you are claiming your spot in heaven though! Those that don't accept Christ are in for a rude awakening! I know this for a FACT! God Bless You all and I will be voting for Trump if he runs! He is a great compassionate person give him a chance!
Left by follower of Christ on Aug 10, 2013 8:06 AM