Newt Gingrich, who is expected to run for President tells The Brody File that he “felt compelled to seek God’s forgiveness” over his past marital infidelity. And now that he’s at the grandfather stage he is “truly enjoying the depths of my life in ways that I never dreamed it was possible.”

The Brody File sat down with Gingrich Monday afternoon at The Machine Shed Restaurant in the suburbs of Des Moines before the big Iowa Faith and Freedom event.

We’re posting three clips from the interview below with transcriptions.

There will be those Evangelicals who can’t get past Gingrich’s transgressions from earlier in his life. But let’s remember. Evangelicals know all about grace and redemption, too. and if Gingrich can connect on issues important to Evangelicals (especially in Iowa and South Carolina), then look out. He has a path to the nomination. Don’t write him off. He can compete strongly for the Evangelical vote.

Gingrich on God's forgiveness:

Newt Gingrich: There’s no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate. And what I can tell you is that when I did things that were wrong, I wasn’t trapped in situation ethics, I was doing things that were wrong, and yet, I was doing them. I found that I felt compelled to seek God’s forgiveness. Not God’s understanding, but God’s forgiveness. I do believe in a forgiving God. And I think most people, deep down in their hearts hope there’s a forgiving God.

Somebody once said that when we’re young, we seek justice, but as we get older, we seek mercy. There’s something to that, I think. I feel that I’m now 67 I’m a grandfather. I have two wonderful grandchildren. I have two wonderful daughters and two great sons-in-law. Callista and I have a great marriage. I think that I’ve learned an immense amount.

And I do feel, in that sense, that God has given me, has blessed me with an opportunity as a person. Forget about all this political stuff. As a person, I’ve had the opportunity to have a wonderful life, to find myself now, truly enjoying the depths of my life in ways that I never dreamed it was possible to have a life that was that nice.

Gingrich on the makings of a great President:

Gingrich: In the end, the presidency is different than any other job. You’re looking for somebody who is going to lead the nation. You’re looking for somebody who should be, ideally, the unifier of the nation. And, you’re looking to somebody to whom you’re going to loan enormous power for four years.

You want to be able to look into them and understand, do they share my values? Do they know what I’m frightened of? Do they have answers that are real? Are they stable; are they capable of doing something? It’s one thing to be an advisor. It’s another thing to be a doer. And then it becomes a summary judgment, a lot of it’s just gut instinct. You watch all of these folks for a while, and because it’s the presidency, they’re in your living room or your kitchen, or wherever you happen to watch TV. And, you get to know them over time.

Gingrich on our Judeo-Christian society:

Gingrich: In a sense, our Judeo-Christian civilization is under attack from two fronts. On one front, you have a secular, atheist, elitism. And on the other front, you have radical Islamists. And both groups would like to eliminate our civilization if they could. For different reasons, but with equal passion.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:07 PM

# RE: Newt Gingrich Tells Brody File He "felt compelled to seek God’s forgiveness"

I don't trust Newt. He is a CFR/globalist insider. He is not what this country needs. This country has been taken over by the globalists.
Just because someone invokes the name of God doesn't mean anything. We were duped by Bush. Let's not allow ourselves to be duped by another globalist insider by what they say. We must look at their past to give us hint of what they would bring to us in the future.
We need someone like Ron Paul who has been talking the talk and walking the walk for many many years. I don't know that he is a believer or not but that doesn't matter. He has the values that made this country great and that's what we need to return to.
Left by wmreese on Mar 09, 2011 5:05 AM

As a Christian - I am doubfounded how Mr. Gingrich believes he has been forgiven for is Adulterous lifestyle. I am not doubting his political prowless.

If he were to go back to his orginal wife i could see where he would be forgiven. But continuing in this "Third" marriage is continuing in the sinful choice.

Did not Jesus address this?

In Matthew 5:31–32, he says,

“It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ But I say to you that every one who divorces his wife, except on the ground of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”

Similarly, in Matthew 19:9, he says,

“And I say to you: Whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery”

Do you CBN believe he is forgiven?

Left by porter on Mar 09, 2011 7:24 AM

# RE: Newt Gingrich tells The Brody File he 'felt compelled to seek God’s forgiveness'

Newt is the most capable person to lead our nation. He understands Washington, Americans, and the street. He is politically savvy and has incredible wisdom and he knows his history as few people do. He understands what has to be done to get this country back on its feet, he realizes that business drives the economy, not bureaucrats, and he wants America to regain her foothold as the greatest country the world has ever seen. He RESPECTS this country and is REAGANESQUE in his approach to America's potential. He has my vote and I pray he makes it to the oval office.
Left by beaglegirl on Mar 09, 2011 10:46 AM

Please tell this guy the world has passed him by. We no longer need him (if we ever did).

Just looking at his face and hearing his voice makes my stomach a little sick because I remember all the filth he has created and participated in (per the U.S. media) during his political "career".

If God has forgiven him, praise the Lord! But that doesn't mean anyone wants to hear his testimony.
Left by PAN on Mar 09, 2011 11:30 AM

There is a basic immaturity that has dominated Newt Gingrich's political and personal life....that of the petulant child who wants what he wants when he wants it. His narcissistic characteristics are also demonstrated by his consistently failing to take responsibility for his actions, standing instead behind claims of his "passion" for country and devotion to God.
The most tragic thing is that well-meaning Christian leaders have lacked discernment and have been seduced by his permitting them access to the "seats of power." Fortunately, it is not man that will have the final word on this issue.
P.S. According to his first wife, he said what mattered was not what he did but what he said. Wrong, Newt! Your actions have continued to speak so loudly that I can't hear what you say.
Left by republicansister on Mar 10, 2011 2:33 PM

Mr Brody, I think the way you call his "past..transgressions" is white washing the adultery he has been involved in. Leaving two women, tossing them aside to finally have this "great marraige" with Calista says alot about this man. As a believer, I seem to remember some simple words in our vows that went like this, "for better, for worse,for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part". Marriage is not only great because everything is going wonderful, or when you are swimming in the bucks, or if your spouse is well and does not have cancer or MS. Mr. Gingrich has come to you and CBN, and you say he can "compete strongly for the Evangelical vote." Yes, we all fall short of the glory of God, but frankly his behavior has revealed alot about Newt Gingrich the man. The smoke bomb he throws saying his passion for his job and working so hard is partially to blame for his past infidelies is outrageous I am not convinced he is the one for me.
Left by ziaiolanda on Mar 10, 2011 10:09 PM

Mr Gingrinch has about as much a chance of being POTUS, as Santorum, Pawlenty,and Palin, but its interesting watching them get trotted out proclaiming their deep faiths. Great post too ziaiolanda!
Left by josta45 on Mar 15, 2011 12:55 AM

I DO NOT READ ANYWHERE THAT HE HAS EXPRESSED TRUE SORROW FOR HIS PAST TRANSGRESSIONS OR APOLOGIZED TO HIS FORMER WIVES FOR HURTING THEM. THIS MAN CAN NEVER BE TRUSTED! ANYONE WHO IS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT HE IS A CONSERVATIVE MUST SEARCH THE NET USING "THE REAL NEWT GINGRICH". PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO. IT IS SHOCKING HOW GINGRICH HAS DUPED THE PUBLIC. HE IS A NEOCON GLOBALIST WHO INTENDS TO DO AWAY WITH THE CONSTITUTION OF THE USA!
Left by Char T. on Mar 25, 2011 12:53 PM

Newt claims to be a Christian. But going to church once a week makes you a Christian like going to a garage once a week makes you a car. His behavior is not Christian.
Left by rjregan on Mar 28, 2011 12:03 PM