President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

At an event in Albuquerque New Mexico today, a woman in the crowd asked President Obama why he is a Christian. In response, President Obama said the following: (this is a rush transcript and the video is below)

President Obama: "I’m a Christian by choice. My family didn’t ... frankly, they weren’t folks who went to church every week. My mother was one of the most spiritual people I knew, but she didn’t raise me into church. I came to my Christian faith later in life. ... It was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life I would want to lead. Being by brother’s keepers ... treating others as they would treat me ... also understanding that Jesus Christ dying for my sins spoke to the humility we all have to have as human beings. ... We’re sinful, and we’re flawed, and we make mistakes, and we achieve salvation through the grace of God. ... We can still see God in other people and do our best to help them find their own grace. So that’s what I strive to do and pray to do every day. ... I think my public service is a part of that effort to express my Christian faith."

President Obama: "But the one thing I want to emphasize ... as President of the United States, I’m also someone who deeply believes part of the bedrock strength of this country is that it embraces people of many faiths and of no faiths. This is a country that is still predominantly Christian, but we have Jews, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, agnostics, Buddhists, and their own path to grace is one that we have to revere and respect as much as our own, and that’s part of what makes our country what it is."

The video is below. (It is long because it contains the woman's question and his answer. It also includes President Obama's answer to her question on abortion which I'm sure you will be interested in as well)

On abortion:

President Obama: "There are laws, both federal and constitutional, that are in place."

President Obama: "This is where Bill Clinton had the right formulation a couple of decades ago, that abortion should be safe, legal and rare,"

President Obama:  "All of us should recognize ... a difficult and oftentimes tragic situation that families are wrestling with ... families and women involved should make the decisions, not the government. ... Interests shift and you can have some restrictions on late-terms abortion."

President Obama: "People still argue about it and deeply disagree about it. And that’s part of our democratic way."

OK, Brody File readers. What do you make of his comments? It definitely sounds more Evangelical than any of his previous statements about his faith. Having said that, to some people it's not going to matter what he says. They are going by his actions (his views on abortion, marriage, etc) and what they see as his distorted view of the Gospel message.

Bottom line: Has the train already left the station on how people view the faith of this President? The words today may not change people's minds at all. Unlike the 2008 campaign when President Obama was in the process of telling America about himself, it's now 2010. Conservative Evangelicals may have a harder time buying this and secular liberals have no desire to hear all of this "God" talk in public. This President may not be able to win either way.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:30 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

I too have a few question i would ask the president, if he says he is a christian why is it he seems to be more on the side of the muslim faith than the christian faith? why has it taken him and his family almost 20 months and to date they still haven't settled into a bible beliving church? why does he seem to be going against the christian faith by wanting gays to be in the military and to get rid of don't ask don't tell? why does he seem to be wanting and silently agreeing to same sex marriages!the church he attends the episcol church does he know that it is in line with gay rights and gene robinson, why hasn't he done anything for the 98% of african americans who voted for him some in the poring rain, and when they ask him why? he turns round and says he is the president of all americans when that is clearly not the case, he seems to be intrested in a one world government, yes i am pleased for the health care bill it is badly needed almost 50 million americans were without H/care
Left by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2010 3:45 PM

# RE: Bishop Eddie Long

I would like to comment on bishop long, i just here at cbn they would also provide a comment box for other news, not everyone has facebook or twitter and don't really want to sign onto such sites. I think Bishop Long should step down and many in new baptist church need to also step down especially if they heard rumors and failed to question and make him accountable for child safe and safeguarding issues, but this applies to all church's black or white, church's have allowed this sort of thing and many others things to go unchecked for quite a while, we have allowed couples living together, taking communion, the standard in the church's have allowed this to happen, the community we need to reach out to them they are looking for Christ in us.
Left by Anonymous on Sep 28, 2010 3:52 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

How come he told that Egyptian minister he was a muslim, he can`t keep changing his mind at the drop of a hat!!
Left by Carole64 on Sep 28, 2010 6:26 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

To me, this is back peddling. He knows that this (kind of talk) will make some people think that he is a Christian afterall.

His handlers have told him that he needs to start interjecting some "god talk" into his talks in order to confuse the masses.

Only those who know what their Bibles say about issues will know the truth.
Left by ociana on Sep 28, 2010 6:34 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

He has mentioned his faith but not his commitment to the faith. he seems to be a mens pleaser ( common with politician )rather than God. We have to strive to be a pleasure in God's sight rather than men. The Lord mentioned that "only those who have done his father's will" rather than people's will who will inherit the Kingdom of God.His accommodation of moral sin ( homo, abortion) is just like he is silently promoting these unspeakable behavior, a similar character of "False prophets"
Left by jgonewai on Sep 28, 2010 7:25 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

I read your post and I am not surprised to read what Obama has said. He'll do anything and say anything to get himself or his constituents elected. If he was a Christian, believing in the sanctity of life, one of his first tasks in the White House would not have been to overturn the ban on partial birth abortion. If he was a Christian he would have found a Bible believing church a long time ago. His actions are louder than his words and no matter how sweet the honey flows from his mouth, the fowl odor of his actions are what reveal what kind of a man he really is.
Left by Betty on Sep 28, 2010 7:35 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

"We can still see God in other people and do our best to help them find their own grace."

What does that mean??

He frequently uses words/phrases that we assume mean one thing but later discover we were wrong in our assumptions - "hope and change" anyone? We should all know by now that what he says and what he does, do not equate.

This man uses the phrase "my Christian faith" more than anyone I know. He's obviously trying to convince us. How many times have you had to convince someone of your Christian faith by using that phrase?

I can tell what you are by what you do and who your friends are. Enough said.
Left by Valerie on Sep 28, 2010 7:38 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

President Obama seems to be getting better with his speech regarding his supposed Christian faith.
I wish with all of my heart this were true but it says in God's word we will know "them" by their fruit. What is the fruit that we see? It is opposite the Christian faith. Yet at times people can still walk in ignorance and be a new believer but... It seems unlikely in this situation! He has always confessed to be a Christian. So many people do say that and believe they are but.... the fruit of that is not evident!
I sure hope by faith in the Lord that Obama would be saved and His family too!
Have you ever watched the Left Behind Tribulation Force movie? Well check it out! It's so close to what could soon transpire as we look at certain situations in our world and then in the movie. Very close to home and the movie was made years before Mr.Obama became President. Check it out and take note of what they say and then listen to the news about the threat of today in this world!
Blessings
Left by life4him on Sep 28, 2010 10:37 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

"For by grace are you saved THROUGH FAITH, it is the gift of God; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." Eph. 2:8
It is not our striving, prayers or public service that brings the grace of God, it is walking in faith that JESUS, alone is THE WAY, THE TRUTH & THE LIFE & knowing that no one comes to the FATHER except through Him. His blood covered our sins so we can receive the gift of God, we cannot earn our salvation. "We are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works that He prepared in advance for us to do."
Abel's sacrifice was accepted, it was an innocent lamb,
Cain's sacrifice was rejected it was the fruit (harvest) of his labor.
"Oh, the blood of Jesus; that washes white as snow"
Left by Jonathan & Juliana Heisey on Sep 28, 2010 11:30 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

I have also heard our President speak of his Muslim faith on an interview with George Stephanapolis on ABC. We need not judge his ability to govern on his conflicting words regarding his statement of faith. However, understanding his upbringing which is a matter of public record and his statements and conduct in public office we can gain a reasonable understanding of how he will continue to govern and what policies he will support.
Left by skypilot on Sep 29, 2010 4:36 AM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

The president FAITH is a matter that only GOD can determine as for us humans and believers we were taught to judge them by their fruits!
Does president Obama's fruits warrant him to be a believer?
Many so called christians are really not christians as this thing is not really in the confession but the surrender of self to be led by Holy Ghost!
President Obama's equating the grace of christ to save with "other path of grace " by other religions shows he considers christianity to be just another religion.Is this correct understanding of "the grace?"
Left by joseph otieno on Sep 29, 2010 7:19 AM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

The Bible is not to be compromised to fit President Obama, or Eddie Long, It is either right or wrong, and if it do not line up with the word of God it is just wrong. I love them both, but they too need to seek God, by calling on the name of Jesus, and get it right.
Left by ms rozella b thomas on Sep 29, 2010 8:51 AM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

The Bible says love your neighbor,your neighbor is everyone you come in contact with. It also says you pray for your leaders and pray they will grow in Gods grace and that they will lead as Christ. God is control, why are you people so hostile, as Christians we were taught love. If you cannot speak of love then do not speak. For God so loved the world he gave is one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. John 3:16,17
I say if Obama is saying he is a Christian then maybe real Christian's prayers are coming true. We have to pray for our leaders and pray that they will choose God. If you believe it will come to pass. Just think thousands of thousands of people heard him say I am a Christian by choice, or is it our God working to bring glory through the name of Christ, to the Father. I say to the true Christians keep praying for him. God bless
Left by Brother on Sep 29, 2010 11:02 AM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY TO BE SAVED - when we ask Him to come in our hearts, forgive us & change us. We become Christians ONLY thru our relationship with Jesus Christ! I believed Jesus is God's Son - even that He died for my sins, yet I wasn't "saved" nor a true believer until I repented, called on Jesus' Name & asked Him to be my Lord! ..When I dared believe Jesus is the ONLY way to salvation & gave myself completely to Him & asked Him to come in my heart & change me! I believed & confessed Jesus IS my Lord & God, that He IS the Word of God, that the Bible is the ONLY truth... the knowledge of God written down for us so we're supernaturally changed through the reading of it. Being a Christian is not merely believing God exists (devils do, too!) but by putting those beliefs into action by our confession & living it from our hearts! James 2:14, What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works?
Left by G. K. Smith on Sep 29, 2010 11:33 AM

David David David!

So my comment about Barack Hussein Obama's faith taquiyya was not mild enough for your blog? Is it because I am effectively calling this "president" a liar and this would offend the offenders (i.e., all Muslims)?

Well -- that is certainly your perogative, but I will take that as one reason to go elsewhere for commentary on the cancer destroying our world.

Since you are a Christian convert and may still have a bit of sense regarding Islam -- radical or otherwise -- please consider the vigilance others are still maintaining and remember it when Islam strangles your 2nd faith:

Left by Heidi on Oct 01, 2010 5:44 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

Why have I seen him admit he was Muslim, seen him remove his shoes, enter a mosque and kneel surrouned by secret service men.? I have also read a quote where he states he would back muslims in a confrontation with America. He speaks with forked tongue, says one thing and means another. I don't think you can be a progressive socialist and be a "true"
Christian
Left by alm57 on Oct 01, 2010 9:24 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

If you want to understand why Obama says what he says then you need to see thewrag.blogspot.com

You cannot make sound reasoning until you've seen all of the facts.
Left by MichaelAA on Oct 01, 2010 11:42 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

Jesus said He was the way the truth and the life and no man comes to the Father except through HIM. That means all those other faiths and ways to God are false , no other grace to be found except for what God has provided for us through Jesus. Obama believes that there are many ways to God. He is deceived and is trying to deceive others. Deb
Left by Deb on Oct 04, 2010 3:37 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

President Obama, is a man and as a man he has convictions and beliefs that drive him in this life. Therefore, if he is a Christian and his faith is in Jesus Christ then he should honor and uphold Christ as the one true and only God. Not Muhammad or Allah! Actions do speak louder than words and I believe his actions to be of a back slidden Christian that is living the way of the world when it comes to his actions. Especially, on abortion and other moral issues facing our nation today. Pray for him and trust our God "JESUS CHRIST" to do a new thing in this persons life and administration. But don't hate the man because his judgment is so clouded that he cannot see the forest before the trees. Or the mosque before ground zero. PRAY!
Left by rfarrell on Oct 05, 2010 6:19 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

With so many comments Dave where does one begin? On the question of whether this president is christian or not, remember he has not gotten over 50,000 american and allied troops killed or maimed for no good reason. Nor has he gotten perhaps a million innocent Iraqi's killed. Is it because what he says is not palatable to the commenters? Is christianity so afraid of the president's comments hey wish to accuse him of being a muslim? Remember Jesus Christs was not well received by the learned jews of his time either. In fact also remember they had Him crucified. The "religious right" sounds like they are attempting to crucify President Obama in the media. In closing let me say "Orchids" to your comments MichaelAA
Left by joelang60 on Oct 06, 2010 1:31 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

Well if he was truely Christian he would know that there is only one way to grace and that is by Jesus. "It is easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle" He is wide open like Oprah when it comes to all religions. It seems he believes all religions lead to one God. History in the bible is proven every day by truth seekers looking for a more solid foundations to why Christ would be the the Way, the Truth and the Life. God has a plan and Obama(not matter what his beliefs are) is part of God's plan for mankind. Praise God for working in good times and especially in hard times. He is strongest at our weakest. We have to stay the Body and together and pray for this man. God is coming soon so WE all need to keep our eyes to God and not let Obama be the distraction. Stand firm in the faith and love others as God loves you. Keep your eyes to God....Obama's are in the world. God has a plan.
Left by Jessi713 on Oct 07, 2010 11:44 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

Jessi713 you make a couple of good points."we have to stay the Body and together and and pray for this man. Stand firm in the faithand love others as God loves you". Very well stated and I applaud these statements. To vilify this president however is no example of God's love. And as stated, Jesus himself was not well received by the learned religious leaders of his time. As I recall they questioned many of the precepts Jesus attempted to teach them. to this day, orthodox jewry still believes that Jesus was a charlatan.
Left by joelang60 on Oct 12, 2010 1:54 PM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

You know what I see here, a lot of Judgements and hypocrites. I am just saying what I see. Is it his color, he a Democrate? Is it his stand on abortion? He support marriage between a man and a women. He just does what Jesus tells us to do, did He not come down for the sinner? Have any of you or your Christian School's held a day of prayer or pray daily for President Obama? It seems so one sided and boy the judgments. He didn't say through Jesus Christ is a Muslim!Come one, talk about hyocrites, all those who protect life while in the womb sure don't care about it outside the womb. Against ObamaCare? Your against children, sick children getting coverage from insurance companies who you will soon learn in your own good time are not on your side but instead have taken up with our Republicans and Tea Party groups. My eyes have never been so clear, the rights prtend to protect embroys, stemm cells but you will allow a poor living baby to die.
Left by nickie on Oct 26, 2010 9:22 AM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

As far as the Mosque goes, there is one closer to ground zero and as much as I am not thrilled, it is in the best interest of our freedoms founded in America to stand by the Consistuation. If he were a predend Christian, that would like a real Christian being a pretend Muslim. He is a Christian and he is working to put back what destruction that has taken place for 8 yrs. He has sone so much, give him a chance. NOTHING will get done and the only people who win, are our enemies! Work together, Tea party too extreme. I am a Cristian born again but I have three sick children. I didn't know what they had but I would never have aborted them. Instead I face them being left to die because we can't pay the bills and Mediciad after losing everything you own, which we already have, will not pay for their life saving meds not a bone marrow transplant. I tell you, when you see a child die because they were poor and another live because they had money. It is sad!
Left by nickie on Oct 26, 2010 9:44 AM

# RE: President Obama Says: "We achieve salvation through the grace of God"

I'm not 100% convinced by this man , but I can say his statement was before a national media outlet and he confessed Jesus as the way, there is a scripture that says , no one can call Jesus Lord accept by the Spirit. The word says we have to believe with the heart and confess with the mouth, he did speak it, I don't know about his heart. It did take alot of guts to say it, that's more than can be said about alot of so called christians, who would never mention His name out side the four walls of a church.
Left by DAL55 on Nov 04, 2010 8:45 PM