Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

Brit Hume told CBN News that he doesn’t regret saying that Tiger Woods should embrace the Christian faith. As a matter of fact, the famous Fox News veteran journalist told CBN News that, “Tiger Woods has an opportunity here and my prayer would be that he would take it."

Hume also told CBN News anchor Lee Webb that the name of Jesus Christ is explosive and, “"This is to be expected and it's been happening to people who proclaim their faith in Christ for as long as anybody can remember. This is part of the deal. You have to be willing to deal with this if you're going to say his name out loud you’re going to hear about it.”

Watch the full five-minute interview below. Partial transcriptions are below as well.

Some in the mainstream media are up in arms about Hume’s comments but let me just say this. The last time I checked, Hume is paid for analysis. If his analysis of the Wood’s situation has to do with Tiger’s faith, then how is that not fair game?

Was it a bold statement by Hume? Absolutely. Was the reaction predictable? Absolutely. But remember this: When you’ve had your life touched and turned around by Jesus Christ (like Hume has) the natural inclination is to share that good news with others. If you just enjoyed a nice, big, fat, juicy steak wouldn’t you want to let others know about it?

In this day and age of the 24/7 cable chat-a-thon, Hume’s analysis was definitely the most important moment on the Cable networks in a long time.

Brit Hume:
 Eleven years ago my son committed suicide and as you can imagine it was absolutely devastating and yet throughout that whole horrible time I had this sense that God was there for me, that he would rescue me, that he would save me and he did in ways that I couldn't imagine or expected. His imagination is always greater than ours.

If you think about what Christianity is about it's about sinners and Christianity is a religion for sinners and I think that Tiger Woods has an opportunity here and my prayer would be that he would take it.

If you're trying to find the two most explosive words in the English language those two words are Jesus Christ. You start talking about Jesus Christ and I don't mean to make a pun but all hell breaks loose. People rage about this. It's very offensive to those who don't share the faith. It's offensive to some people who claim they do share the faith.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 9:00 AM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

I have gained a new respect for Brit Hume. Thank you for taking a stand to reach out to help others. You have an army of praying warriors behind you.
Left by judy on Jan 06, 2010 10:23 AM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

Maybe Fox News should just get it over with and brand itself the Christian Broadcasting Network.

OOPS! Already taken!
Left by PolishBear on Jan 06, 2010 10:52 AM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

I am proud of you... you stood up for the word of christ (God) and for tiger woods..... I pray that we can have more people like you. In todays world of TV people try too play it safe when it comes to christian talk but if it is sex they think they will make billions
Left by Debra on Jan 06, 2010 9:11 PM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

Amen, Mr. Hume!
Left by ccoker on Jan 07, 2010 9:25 PM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

Thank You Mr. Hume for your boldness to help save someones life at the cost of your own reputation!! Admirable!!
Left by sherry haines on Jan 08, 2010 11:51 AM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

Yes to the nerve he had to say "Jesus" on the air. Seems if you use it to proclaim your faith, you're criticized by the atheists. But if you use it followed by profanity, it's freedom of speech. I wonder how many muslims were blackballed by speaking the name of Alla on the air? Jesus said if the world hates me, they'll hate you too. Sarah for prez, Brit for VP 2012. Someday, we'll have a Christian in the White house again,
Left by james in E Wa on Jan 08, 2010 2:21 PM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

I was saddened and more than a little shocked to hear of Brit’s comments concerning the matter of Tiger Woods and his religion of choice. I hope his proposal to the wayward golfer represents an offer of Christian charity. If his exhortation to Tiger, to convert to Christianity, may not have been for altruistic motives but was an attempt to proselytize for Christianity—I must protest.
What I sense in the insensitive remarks is a kind of offer to Tiger to realize that, since most of the people in America are Christians, it might just be a good PR move to make a public conversion. When it comes to venues like network news, I think there is little question that the fairness doctrine should be restored. Comments like Brit’s that would defame a major world religion would require some equal time for responsible spokespeople representing that religion.
Left by Deboldt on Jan 09, 2010 2:02 AM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

You either believe the same as Brit Hume - that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the light and that no one comes to the Father but through Him...and Tiger needs to ask forgiveness for his sins to receive Christ's forgiveness and love - or you believe there are other ways to do this. Forget whether or not Hume should've shared the advice at that time, on that program, or in his role. You either believe what he said is correct or wrong. Read more about it in "Politics and Religion: Knowing Little But Never Being Wrong" - http://richardtgarner.blogspot.com/2010/01/politics-and-religion-knowing-little.html
Left by Rick Garner on Jan 14, 2010 8:33 PM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

Dear Rick,
I read your blogspot post and found much to comment on. Of course the crux of your argument here lies in the use of “a” vs the use of “the” (way to the Father.) I do believe Christianity definitely offers “a” valid path to Divinity. The problem is, Christians are so vehemently convinced that theirs is “the” only way, that they go around defaming and suppressing every other theological system on the planet, often even by violence and intimidation when they can get away with it. If this is the fruit of certainty and of being “correct”, please grant me the latitude and the humility to doubt and even bravely face the possibility that I may be wrong in by beliefs.

Peace,

Bob Boldt
Left by Deboldt on Jan 17, 2010 10:11 PM

# RE: Brit Hume to CBN News: "I Don't Regret" Christian Faith Comments

I believe free speech is constitutional and we the people can speak frankly on any news show! It is just that the person who is speaking is speaking to all peoples not just Christians. Therefore there will be a battle over who is right and who is wrong! Yes Deboldt there are other religions, you have the choice to believe whatever that is the beauty of living in a free country and being able to voice it. I do also agree that their are some Christian's views that judge others very much so and you can see it right now with the downright ugly attitude with President Obama. He is a Christian but just because he doesn't agree with the conservatives look at the hatefulness he is getting among Christians and conservatives alike. What a testimony of their faith, yea. They sound like the Pharisees!
Left by TiSHspeaking on Feb 07, 2010 5:31 PM