President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

Leave it to The Brody File to bring you the transcription of President Obama talking about Christmas and baby Jesus. he made the following remarks at The Boys and Girls Club in Washington DC Monday afternoon. I'd be curious about your comments. Video is below as well ( go about 12 minutes in or so) or go to this link.

THE PRESIDENT:  I think one thing that's important to remember is that, even though there's a lot of fun at Christmas, you know, you got -- especially when it's snowy like this, so it's pretty outside, you got the Christmas tree, you got the Christmas cookies, you've got presents.  You know, I think that the most important thing is just to remember why we celebrate Christmas.

CHILD:  I know!

THE PRESIDENT:  Do you know?

CHILD:  The birth of baby Jesus.

THE PRESIDENT:  The birth of baby Jesus, and what he symbolizes for people all around the world is the possibility of peace and people treating each other with respect.  And so I just hope that spirit of giving that's so important at Christmas, I hope all of you guys remember that as well.  You know, it's not just about getting gifts but it's also doing something for other people.  So being nice to your mom and dad and grandma and aunties and showing respect to people -- that's really important too, that's part of the Christmas spirit, don't you think?  Do you agree with me?

CHILDREN:  Yes.

THE PRESIDENT:  You do?  Do you have an interesting observation?

CHILD:  I know why we give gifts to other people.

THE PRESIDENT:  Why is that?

CHILD:  Because the three wise men gave gifts to baby Jesus.

THE PRESIDENT:  That's exactly right.  But the three wise men -- the reason -- (sign falls off wall) -- uh-oh, I thought that was the cookies going down.  We couldn't have that.   You know, the three wise men, if you think about it, here are these guys, they have all this money, they've got all this wealth and power, and yet they took a long trip to a manger just to see a little baby.  And it just shows you that just because you're powerful or you're wealthy, that's not what's important.  What's important is what's -- the kind of spirit you have.

So I hope everybody has a spirit of kindness and thoughtfulness, and everybody is really thinking about how can they do for other people -- treating them well, because that's really the spirit of Christmas. Does everybody agree with that?

CHILDREN:  Yes!

THE PRESIDENT:  I agree with that.  Well, you guys all seem like really sharp, sharp young people.  And I'm very proud of you.  And let me just ask you one last question.  Is everybody here working pretty hard in school?

CHILDREN:  Yes!

THE PRESIDENT:  Okay, because the thing that I want everybody to remember, the most important message I can leave is, is that you guys have so much potential -- one of you could end up being President some day.  But it's only going to happen if you stay focused and you work hard in school.  And you guys -- there's nothing wrong with having fun and fooling around and playing sports and listening to rap music and all that stuff.  But I want you guys to read and hit the books and do your math, because that's really what's going to determine how you do in the future.  All right?  That's the most important thing you can do.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:06 AM

# RE: President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

Obama: "The most important thing is to work hard in school so that you might become President one day."

Jesus (whose birth Obama pretended to honor): "The most important thing (greatest commandment) is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, and with all your spirit, and your neighbor as yourself."
Left by Sam Allgood on Dec 22, 2009 12:24 PM

# RE: President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

No mention of Jesus being our Savior (There is a very nice Youtube Video and the Whitehouse Christmas Address from then President Ronald Regan broadcast December 23, 1981 watch that and see what a difference a few decades make)

Is that because there is room for only one Savior?

And the book he read has absolutely nothing to do with the reason for the season. Worthless, absolutely worthless.
Left by Richard on Dec 22, 2009 1:24 PM

# RE: President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

Thank you--that was a nice video clip.

My prayer is our new President and his family, come to know Jesus as Lord and Savior during his time in office. I've prayed the same prayer for every President since coming to the Lord in 1980.

God bless you Mr. Brody, and a Merry Christmas.
Left by Jaunita on Dec 23, 2009 1:03 AM

# Very Bad Exegesis

In Matthew 10, Jesus says persecution will come against his followers, and will divide even parents and children, but those who trust him will be rewarded. He says, "Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth."

The Bible doesn't say there were three magi, and it doesn't say they were rich. It could be they gave him all they had. The gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh, were not about rich people giving to the poor. The gifts symbolized that Jesus would be king (gold, a gift fit for kings), priest (frankincense, an incense burned in the temple), and that he would die for your sins (myrrh, used to anoint or embalm the dead).

The meaning of Christmas is the Incarnation. A loving, triune God (Father, Son, Spirit) sent the person of his Son to take on human form, born of a virgin, live a sinless life and willingly die on the cross in your place because of your sin, so that you might be reconciled to God.

Please, Mr. Obama, re-read the Bible (and the Constitution).
Left by rjohns on Dec 24, 2009 9:03 AM

# RE: President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

I'm so sad, that the leader of the free world is so devoid of our Lord and Saviour. He seems to know nothing of the importance of our Christian faith, and how it is going to determine what happens to our Nation, that was founded by Christian principles. He seems to have no knowlege of the Word of God at all.The Bible is a true account of what has happened and what will happen. All the preditions of the old testament, have come true except the Revelation. This I feel has not been given enough attention. As a result,people tend to ignore the importance of knowing the Word of God. They do not seem to understand the conseqences of disobedience. God will not bless a nation that turns away from Him. And that is what Obama is doing.And the people that go his way,and ignore God's Word, will be lost,just as he(Obama) will be. And our nation along with him. Our Nation is in a load of trouble,and we had better change,or be in defeat. Never to recover. Shame to us that have let this happen. gloria
Left by gloria tonniges on Dec 26, 2009 2:40 PM

# RE: President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

I get BIMO's message: Baby Jesus took the Snowjob train to the North Pole. Go home kids and instruct your neighbors to share the wealth. Focus and study hard and you too can be president like ME!!! He totally ignored any Christian input from the children. Smoothly of course. I do hope he reads this comment. If he doesI hope he multiplies the words and thought behind them by a factor of the number of Christians who have his NUMBER. God Bless and HELP The U.S.of America.
God Bless our troops in harm's way and in the way of this congress and WH.
Left by old navy goat on Dec 29, 2009 6:01 PM

# RE: President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

I can't sit still and not say something about this "thing"! CHRIST as SAVIOR is THE MOST IMPORTANT of all at Christmas time. Did you notice how many times he said "you guys" during his talk? I am sure there were some "you girls" present. This is cliche which really good speakers don't use. I am a Toastmaster and I frown on this for TM's or any speaker. Did you notice how he put in the question "Do you agree with me?" or something like it every time he tried to make a point? Is this not pulling his little audience the way he wants them to go. I do not think he, who says he is a Christian, shows any evidence that he is. I am praying now that in 2010 we can use a wide broom to replace a lot of people and get rid of some of the programs that are costing taxpayers a lot of money. My great and great-great grandchildren will spend their lives paying for the things he has done. We have characters, not character. God help us to deal them out.
Left by Opal on Dec 29, 2009 7:56 PM

# RE: President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

Obama hasn't a clue about who the Christ Jesus is. The story he read is misleading to the children and has nothing to do with what Christmas is all about .If nothing else these children should be told the truth so that they will stand a chance in life as they grow up . Out of curiousity how come there wasn't a mix of children there .I only seen colored children present.
Left by Don on Dec 31, 2009 8:30 AM

# RE: President Obama Talks About Baby Jesus

I thought the video was lovely...very touching. The President seemed to be enjoying himself and the children will remember this moment for the rest of their lives...when the President of the United States of America (black role model)read them a Christmas story and shared cookies with them while allowing them to share their thoughts about the meaning of Christmas...so what if he left something out...what is the big deal? This was beautiful and I cannot understand why anyone would be criticizing him???

What happened to us? We used to respect the office of the President. I realize that we are not all perfect in each others eyes, but this is not the time of year for mean spirited comments.

Attacking the President at a time like this does not seem to me like a very Christian thing to do! Why can't we just let this man be himself???? President Regan is history...President Obama is now!!!!!
Left by Bobbi Henderson on Dec 31, 2009 10:39 AM