A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

Maybe you've heard about this "sermon" or maybe you haven't. But before we go any further let me just say one thing: this guy is absolutely nuts.

Steve Anderson, the "Pastor" at Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe Arizona is out of control and the Secret Service is on to him.

Anderson preached a sermon a few weeks ago called, Why I Hate Barack Obama". Some transcription highlights (more like lowlights) are below along with the full video of the sermon and a CNN Report about it.

"I'm going to tell you something. I hate Barack Obama. You say, well, you just mean you don't like what he stands for. No, I hate the person. Oh, you mean you just don't like his policies. No, I hate him."

"I am not going to pray for his good. I am going to pray that he dies and goes to hell."

"What goes around comes around. You love violence. You hate that which is right. You love to harm others. You love to hurt or kill the unborn or the innocent or the righteous. He is saying, God is going to bring that upon your own head, because whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. "

"Now, turn back to Psalm 58 and let me ask you this question. Why should Barack Obama melt like a snail? Why should Barack Obama die like the untimely birth of a woman? Why should his children be fatherless and his wife a widow, as we read in this passage? "

"Well, I will tell you why. Because, since Barack Obama thinks it is OK to use a salty solution, right, to abort the unborn, because that's how abortions are done, my friend, using salt -- and I would like to see Barack Obama melt like a snail tonight."

"If you think God is in control of this country, you're insane. A madman is in control of this country."

Ok, where do I begin? Let me first say that the reason I decided to post this is to expose this guy as a looney. CNN and other media outlets have reported it so it has gained a decent amount of traction. You may say this guy isn't worth reporting on but The Brody File sees it as a moment to clarify the difference between true Bible believing Christians and crazies like Anderson.

It should be noted that while there is an argument to be made against President Obama's policies on abortion and other matters, there just is no place for this type of talk. Not from the pulpit, pews or anywhere else for that matter. For people skeptical of Evangelical Christians, I post this story so you fully understand that you SHOULD NOT lump Steve Anderson into the group of Bible believing Christians. His message is absolutely empty of God's grace and mercy. God doesn't want pastors or anybody for that matter to pray for someone's death. God is looking to give people the free gift of eternal life and have people join him in His kingdom forever.

I did a piece a little while back about how Christians can pray for the President. Anderson may want to watch it here.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 11:30 AM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

You are right Dave, Steve Anderson is madman. Unfortunately however, individuals such as he have created more than their share of havoc in the world. Remember the late 1920s and early 1930s how a hate message caused the horrific suffering and death of millions of jews in addition to tens of millions of other people. The Secret Service is doing it's job in keeping track of this nut! The public should also beware of him and people like him.
Left by joelang60 on Aug 31, 2009 1:03 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

Thank you for challenging this hateful rhetoric voiced in the name of Christianity. People such as this are perverting the Christian voice and ignoring the message of Christ.
Left by George Stoddard on Aug 31, 2009 7:35 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

Dave, while I applaud your moderate sentiments, I think that this guy's vitriole is shared by many, many folks of "faith". Not all, but many. I lived in OK for a time and experienced this blind hate for all things progressive numerous times. Rather than espousing the true teachings of Jesus Christ, many of the "evangelical" Christians I came in contact with spewed venom and ignorance.

Now, to be fair, perhaps I did not experience a majority of right-wing Christianity. But judging from all the "birther's" and gun-toting "tea partiers" out there, I have my suspicions.

I have found most who spout this junk are truly ignorant, demented, twisted or all of the above. I do have some conservative, bible-toting friends with whom I can have a honest agreement to disagree, but that, unfortunately, has not been my overall experience. Perhaps you Dave, can set my mind at greater ease.
Left by SpinningHorse on Aug 31, 2009 7:54 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

Thanks Brody. Watching this reminds me why I don't watch CNN. The so called pastor is clearly a nut not a Christian. I read a report that the Secret Service had no unusual number of threats against Obama. So I'm not sure Rick is being truthful about a 400% increase. Rick talks about a trend and comparing today to the day before Nov.22, 1963 & JFK. And he's going to put this guy on the air ? Rick should stress that this guy is loon, not representative of America. That we should be watchful and speak out against this kind of hate But not rick, he's lovin it..in his mind this nut and townhall protest are the same voice. Look, people have a right and a duty to be informed and voice concerns about the issues facing us . We should be very careful how we frame the discussions. Speak truth in love. Rick Sanchez did a disservice to America and the news media in the way he reported this story. He is feeding hate. as are others in the media.
Left by Gerry on Aug 31, 2009 10:30 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

Why is it wrong to hate someone who believes that partial birth abortion is ok. I can't believe you would even try to take the side of abortion. How can this author call himself a Christian if he doesn't take the side of Stephen Anderson. Everything he is saying is biblically accurate. To Joe Lang. I love how you try to make it seem like there is a connection between Stephen Anderson and Adolph Hitler. Stephen Anderson is AGAINST the murder of unborn children. He is against the silent genocide. You should be siding with him, not against him.
Left by blahblahjohnson on Sep 01, 2009 1:15 AM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

And if you want a little further proof of Steve Anderson's wackiness, here's a little excerpt from an interview Gay radio host Michelangelo Signorile did with him:

MS: You know, I'm gay..I'm gay, and I don't molest any children. What do you think of that?
SA: Well, I'd say you're lying.
MS: You think i must be molesting children, right?
SA: Exactly, right.
MS: Do you pray that I'll died tonight?
SA: If you're a homosexual, I hope you get brain cancer like Ted Kennedy.

You can read the entire exchange here:
Left by PolishBear on Sep 01, 2009 12:41 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

He is so wrong to preach hate. I too do not agree with the President's approach to most matters, but the Word is really, really clear that we are to bless...not curse. In our words of blessing, we can bless him with God's wisdom...not man's wisdom, with wise counselors, not power seeking counselors and with courage to do what is right, not what is expediant. We can also pray for God's kingdom to be established in his life as well as those he has chosen to lead with him. The kingdom of rightstanding, peace and joy which can only come from God.

It is best to not judge because when we do, we put ourselves into man's courtroom for man's judgement. But, when we put our President into God's courtroom where there is righteous judgement, mercy and help...well, that is a much better place, plus it keeps our own hearts at rest.

Mr. Anderson is very wrong and I pray he chills out.

Left by Cheryl on Sep 01, 2009 5:47 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

I think this guy should take his congregation and move to Topeka, Kansas, and join forces with Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church. They have so much in common.
Left by Sandra on Sep 01, 2009 6:33 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

There has always been a faction that will be out of control, so a word to the wise "Test it by the scripture". Amen
Left by Carol on Sep 01, 2009 10:15 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

while i wouldn't say that i totally disagree with the pastor, he could have went about this in a different way. God says to hate those things that are not of Him. I personally don't like obama. I don't like the things he stands for. Talking about abortion, the bible actually says abortion is the death of a fetus through medical procedure. The punishment for that is a life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise. Exo. 21:23-25. The only thing we true christians can do is pray for obama and the pastor. obama giving his life to God is the only thing that can save him. The punishment is for God to hand out, not us. We would be just as bad as him if we handed out the punishment. The bible also says that christians are to judge their fellow christians, not the outside world. We are to witness to them so that they can turn to the Lord, and if they don't then they have to answer for that not us.
Left by jmarsh on Sep 03, 2009 1:37 AM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

I dont understand why people blame POTUS Obama for abortions. He is not the one having abortions as millions of girls (christians and non-christians are having abortions. Many out of fear of their parents they messed up. So instead of blaming Obama we should find ways to reduce abortions by reaching the girls who may be considering having them
Left by shiku on Sep 03, 2009 10:31 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

How are we to know whether or not Obama has given his life to God? There are many Christians who agree with Obama, just because I disagree on certain things doesn't mean he isn't saved, it means we disagree. Likewise, how are we to know that pastor Anderson isn't a "real" Christian, in a state of carnality perhaps, but who is to say whether or not he has ever believed in Christ?

I think there are certain lines we should not cross as a "Christian" nation, but Obama is POTUS of the entire population, not just the Christian population. Obama is our government leadership, not spiritual leadership. Besides, the republicans were in office 8 years, with a majority most of the time and not once did any propose to put a stop to abortion. Do not be deceived, abortion is just a talking point used to stir up the Christian base, but one they will NEVER act on.

All authority is given by God. We need to do as instructed and pray for our leaders - not against them.

Left by Susan B on Sep 07, 2009 9:48 PM

# RE: A Hateful "Sermon" Against President Obama

As soon as I heard this video, I prayed for Obama, Anderson and those that accept this hate speech. I cannot imagine hating anyone to the degree Anderson does and praying for their death. The fact that he has some followers of this cult saying amen is shameful. Legitimate pastors should be screaming foul.
Left by RoseofTX on Sep 08, 2009 4:52 PM