Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Call it a hunch. Call it a Brody File instinct. Call it stupid but I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of Sarah Palin.

Sarah Palin may be resigning as Governor of Alaska but it seems pretty clear to me that this move is a logical first step in looking to run for President of the United States.

I know. I know. I've heard all the talk that she's done with politics and the 2008 campaign took a toll on her family and Palin personally. I'm skeptical. I'm not saying that I don't believe those feelings are real, but let's think this through for a moment.

What does Palin need more than anything right now? She needs an extreme makeover. She needs a redo. She's been typecast by the media as a modern-day Dan Quayle. People think she's a lightweight.

By stepping down as Governor, Palin can get away from it all. While working behind the scenes to see if a Presidential run makes sense, she can also hit the books. She can study up on Supreme Court decisions she may disagree with. Write some public policy "White Papers," go be an expert on a couple key domestic issues and play advocate in chief as she travels around the country pushing those issues.

By doing all of that, Sarah Palin can come back as Sarah 2.0. The bar is low at this point so imagine if she comes back running for President as a new and improved polished product. Something to think about.

Also let me say this: Her reputation has been tarnished. You think she really wants to go out that way? I don't think so. Plus, she has a huge fan base and she's a political rockstar. She's not tone deaf. She gets that. Oh and by the way, the last time I checked, her nickname is "Sarah Barracuda." Palin is a fighter.

Look, were there all sorts of political and personal reasons for Palin to resign her office now? Absolutely. There's no reason to go into all of those here, but suffice it to say that she got beat up pretty bad by the mainstream media. Some of it was her own fault (like not knowing a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with) but let's be real here.

The liberal media saw a strong, pretty, conservative, Christian woman and went to town. She didn't talk like the typical politician. She didn't act like the typical politician. She was different. Very different and she paid a price for it.

Was it hurtful? Yes. Was it painful for her? Yes. But does she just walk away? I'm not convinced.

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 9:10 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

I'm having trouble seeing how a resignation at this point is a good thing. If she had served longer than just 3 years, at least a full term and been re-elected to the governorship, I think it's survivable. This doesn't help a major complaint her opponents had: lack of experience. Now she hasn't served even one term (less that Carter). Plus her reasons are "vague." While she may be a player on the national stage, I don't see her getting anywhere near the top spot in 2.5 years.
Left by michael336 on Jul 03, 2009 10:19 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Sure, she's perfectly positioned for a run in 2012, now...as long as you accept her reasoning that, when the going gets tough, the tough quit their jobs.

I don't think it's the liberal media that made her say she reads all newspapers. I don't think the liberal media made her explain her foreign experience credentials as "because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of." I don't think the liberal media made her pass much of the governor's office's power to her husband, neither hired nor elected.

It's her current attitude that conservatives love. And if she goes away and changes that, she'll 1) be unrecognizable to them and 2) still be the one that gave up the governor's seat because she couldn't take the heat.
Left by spinn on Jul 03, 2009 11:34 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

I'll take your word for it, but throwing in the towel is not usually considered a demonstration of courage or tenacity.
Left by synykyl on Jul 04, 2009 1:54 AM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Sarah Palin made a wise choice to leave the governor's mansion and stay out of "dirty politics" for good. Now, she can concentrate on the things of God and be there for her family.
Left by Marie on Jul 04, 2009 2:50 AM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Governor Palin made a wise choice to leave "dirty politics". Now she can concentrate on the things of God and being there for her family.
Left by Marie on Jul 04, 2009 2:56 AM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Thank you, David, for a fresh vision!
Miriam in Germany
Left by AsForMe on Jul 05, 2009 10:19 AM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

THANK YOU AND I AGREE WITH YOU. DONT COUNT SARAH OUT. ANYONE EVER STOP TO THINK OUR HEAVENLY FATHER HAS TALKED TO HER AND TOLD HER TO "REST". I BELIEVE JESUS CHRIST HAS HER FIRMLY IN HIS LOVING ARMS AND WILL TELL HER WHEN IT IS TIME TO "MOVE". GOD'S PEOPLE ARE PERSHING FOR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE! JUST KEEP PRAYING FOR SARAH AND ALL WHO HAS THE GUTS TO RUN THE RACE. I BELIEVE SHE IS TRUSTING HIM AND SO SHOULD WE. PRAISE GOD!
Left by SANDY on Jul 06, 2009 5:15 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

You write: "Call it a hunch... a Brody File Instinct... or stupid." Perhaps you should wait until allegations of embezzlement are
proven to be true or not. If true, she's as much a politician as those who have cheated and broken the law... call it what ever you want.
Left by solo on Jul 06, 2009 6:04 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

The only reason McCain picked her was he was hoping to get the women who wanted Hillary to run. The Hillary people would NEVER have voted for Palin.

If the Republicans are stupid enough to nominate her to run for President in 2012 or any other year, they will lose by a landslide. McCain might have had a chance had it not been for Palin.
Left by Sandra on Jul 06, 2009 7:33 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Palin's politics were as "dirty" as anything that was thrown at her. She did nothing to quiet her followers to kept calling Obama a terrorist and Muslim.

If she runs for president in 2012, that will be the best thing that could happen to the Democrats. The bar is NOT that low and Obama's approval rating is still up.

It might help if Palin would stop killing innocent animals to hang their heads on her walls, learn that the fact that she can see Russia from certain parts of Alaska and learn at least a little about simple geography so she will know the continents where countries are located that might help. It might also be a good idea if she would learn the duties of the vice-president.

Katie Koric didn't need any help to make Palin look stupid...Palin did a very good job without any help.
Left by Sandra on Jul 06, 2009 7:56 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

The "ONLY" reason I voted for McCain was that she (Palin) was on the ticket. She's got my vote if she runs in 2012. Obama was nothing but a Community Organizer then Jr. Senator from ILL. with NO governing experience at ALL and he won! President Bush graduates Yale & Harvard and all we hear is how "Dumb" he was, they the (Left-Liberal) is never going to like us anyway. As long as Hollywood and company are againt her, then she MUST be great!
Left by Rgdownie on Jul 07, 2009 5:30 AM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Using taxpayer money to "reward" hunters for the front paws of wolves that they have killed from helicopters is more than just a waste of money. It shows no regard for animals or the environment. I live on a mountain and, if I go to the right curve and look out over the valley, I can see Los Angeles. Gee...maybe I should be the mayor of L.A. I have no experience but I can see it!! Palin got everything she deserved. She didn't even try and stop people from calling Obama a terrorist and muslim. Maybe she needs time off from being governor so she can learn to read the newspaper. Her politics are as dirty as they get. She would make a worse president than even the "shrub" and his record is hard to beat. Obviously, Joe the Plumber (who isn't a plumber, isn't planning to own his own business, doesn't have a license, and whose real name isn't even Joe) has a really bad crush on her. Maybe he likes stupid women. Too bad the photos of heads of stuffed, dead animals didn't make the news
Left by Sandra on Jul 21, 2009 5:21 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

I really do hope she runs for president. We need some comic relief and that would absolutely assure that the Democrats get another 4 years.

It is so nice that we now have a President who can make a complete sentence.
Left by Sandra on Jul 21, 2009 5:23 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

It is so nice that we now have a President who can make a complete sentence.

Perhaps it would help if Palin went to see her previous pastor and asked him to do an exorcism to get rid of the demon of stupidity.
Left by Sandra on Jul 21, 2009 5:26 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Palin is a wise woman. She said it all in the article written on her today. she is a true Alaskan who loves her family and her country. I pray she gets the rest and peace she need to revive herself, tend to her family, and keep her "down home" attitude. Grass roots count in this country.
Left by Carol on Jul 21, 2009 10:49 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

Go Palin!!!!!! If it is God's will, I hope she is our next president.
Left by Donna on Dec 04, 2009 1:19 PM

# RE: Palin in 2012: Don't Bet Against It

She explained the reasons she left the Governorship and they were perfectly legitimate. Besides, this fact is extremely irrelevant to the big pix. She has more experience than Obama has. I don't see a community organizer job as being any comparison as governing the state of Alaska.
Compare the experience factors in their bios. I do give him credit as being a great orator, but that is becoming a nuisance compared to the country going down the tubes and blaming it all on Bush. He should have saved the idealistic theories for another time further into his presidency and paid the unions off then. Just keep the faith and hoard the barterable materials because I believe the dollar is going to continue to devaluate.
Left by jsslvsu on Dec 09, 2009 12:09 AM