Sherwood Pictures’ Courageous is having life-changing effects on police officers in the United States and around the globe. From the makers of Facing the Giants and Fireproof, this film, now on DVD, is about a group of officers who protect and serve their communities yet struggle to be good fathers and husbands at home.
Courageous’ message of redemption and fatherhood is hitting home with the police community, according to a recent news release.
- In the Philippines, 1,000 officers dedicated their lives to Christ following a screening of Courageous that drew 4,000 people.
- In Ecuador, 300 police officers publicly proclaimed “The Resolution,” as in the scene from the film in which officers do the same.
- In Panama, 700 police officers drove four hours to see the film.
- In Baton Rouge, La., the chief of police offered to personally cover the cost for any of the city’s 630 officers wanting to see Courageous.
- In San Angelo, Texas, Downtown San Angelo Inc. will offer a free showing of Courageous on May 18, in honor of Police Week. The screening is part of the city’s slate of Downtown Movie Nights, with films showing throughout the summer.
- First Baptist Church in Orlando, Fla., bought 2,000 copies of the Courageous DVD with a commitment to give one to each law enforcement officer in the city. "We wanted a way to personally show every officer and their family that we love and appreciate what they give to us,” said Dr. David Uth, First Baptist Orlando pastor. “Giving them a fun and entertaining movie with a message will encourage and inspire them to always be Courageous.”
After premiering last September at No. 4 at the box office, Courageous remained in the top 10 for four weeks. The DVD released on January 17, 2012, as the No. 1 DVD in the country and has sold more than one million copies.
Learn more about law enforcement reaction to Courageous.
Watch the official movie trailer: