Lorie Johnson

CBN News Medical Reporter

Read Lorie's Bio

E-mail Lorie Johnson

Subscribe RSS

Subscribe to this Feed

View All CBN News Blogs

View All CBN Blogs

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Autumn Safety

Many of us feel that exhilarating nip in the air that signals the approach of autumn. I thank God for blessing us with the change of seasons. I pray He will remind us to take the time to appreciate the spendor that is all around us, a free gift for our enjoyment.

The sun and surf of summer is fantastic, I love it, but it's always nice to transition into the cooler temperatures and the incredible beauty that make fall unique...not to mention all the yummy food, like pumpkin bread and activities, like football.

Fall brings with it a specific set of dangers. So it's wise to think ahead and avoid the mishaps that can accompany autumn activities.

For instance, watch out for all those leaves that have fallen. They're slippery when wet! So to avoid a bad fall, keep your driveway and sidewalk and especially your porch steps, clear. 

Make sure to wear thick gloves when doing yard work to prevent injury to your hands. Many of us climb the ladder to clean fallen leaves out of the gutter. Be careful not to climb a ladder with wet shoes, which may cause you to slip.

Now that the weather is cooler, we all move inside. Take caution with your home heating system. Early in the season, before you actually need it, have your furnace inspected and make sure it's in good working order.

Many of us use space heaters. They are a great little burst of heat without spending a ton of money. However space heaters are sometimes misused, causing horrific damage. So please use extreme caution. Allow at least three feet of empty space around a space heater so it doesn't catch anything on fire. Never leave a space heater unattended.

Speaking of home heating, never use your stove or your oven to heat your home.

Many people heat their homes with a fire in the fireplace, or just enjoy the cozy ambiance of a fire in the fireplace. But it's critical to have your chimney cleaned before using it. Deadly home fires sometimes start when creosote lining the chimney ignites. 

Also, make sure to use a fireplace screen to keep the sparks from flying out of the fire place. Never leave a fire unattended.

Have at least one fire extinguisher in your home. Check the expiration date, and replace it if it's expired. Make sure everyone in the family knows where it is and how to use it. It could be a life saver!

Lots of us burn candles once the weather gets cooler. I know I do. I just adore that fragrance and the soft glow candles emit. But like fires in the fireplace, don't leave candles unattended, either.

Finally, remember that Daylight Savings Time (Nov. 4) is not only when we turn our clocks back an hour, but also when we replace the battery in our home smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

God bless you this fall. I pray for your safety and enjoyment during this glorious time of year.

posted @ Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:13 PM | Feedback (0)