What do Muslim Brotherhood members do when Egyptian Security Forces launch a forewarned operation to clear them from Cairo tent cities? Attack Christians. That's right.
Morsi supporters responded with a monumental attack--unprecedented in modern times--on churches throughout Egypt. The torching and destruction of churches occured within six hours of the start of the military crackdown.
Many Muslims opposed the violent response against Christians. Some Salafists urged the Brotherhood to halt the attacks, and even some Muslims in Upper Egypt reportedly helped Christians defend churches.
One destroyed church in Upper Egypt was built in the fourth century.
Watch my report from the CBN Newsroom:
Here's the list of burned churches and buildings:
- Church of the Virgin Mary and Anba Abram of the Copts Orthodox. the village of Daljah, the district of Deir Mawas, Minya province. Burning and demolishing the church.
- The Church of St. Mina of the Coptic Orthodox. The neighborhood of Abu Hilal Kebly Minya province. Burning the church.
- St. George Church. Coptic Orthodox archbishopric land, Sohag province. Burning the church.
- Baptist Church. Status of Bani Mazar, Minya province. Burning the church
- Church of the Virgin Lady of the Copts Orthodox, Nazlah village, Yusuf the righteous district, Fayoum province. Burning the church…
- Monastery of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd School. Suez. Burning.
- Church of Franciscan fathers. Street 23. Suez. Burning.
- Bible society friends, fayoum. Burning.
- Church of Saint Maximus. 45th Street. Alexandria. Harassment.
- Church of Prince Taodharos Elchatbi. Fayoum. Burning.
- Church of the virgin Lady of the Coptic Orthodox. butchers street. Abu Hilal District. Minia province. Burning.
- Church of Saint Mark. Catholic Copts. Abu Hilal District, Minya province. Burning.
- Church of the Jesuit Fathers. Abu Hilal District, Minya province. Burning.
- Church of the Virgin and Anba Abram. Sohag. Burning.
- Church of Saint Mark, and the building of services. electricity Street. Sohag. Burning.
- The house of Father Onjelios king. Pastor of the Church of the Virgin and Anba Abram in Daljah. Deir Mawas district. Minya province. Burning the house completely.
- Burning the Greek Church in Suez.
Pray for peace and reconciliation in Egypt and pray for God's divine protection on our Christian brothers and sisters. Pray their faith will be strengthened during this time of tribulation!