Gary Lane

CBN News Senior International Reporter

E-mail Feedback

New Details in the College Student Massacre in Nigeria

We're receiving more details of that gruesome massacre of Christian college students in Mubi, Nigeria last week.

It happened about 10 p.m., Oct 1, in off-campus dorm rooms. Gunmen reportedly rounded up students and demanded to know their names. If they gave a Christian name, they were given a chance to deny their Christian faith and convert to Islam by reciting the shahada (Muslim prayer of faith). If they refused, and stood firm in their Christian faith, they were either shot or stabbed to death on the spot.

Survivors say some Muslims were also murdered (either mistakenly or intentionally). Those who gave Muslim names were required to say a Koranic prayer to prove their faith. If they could not recite the prayer, they were killed.

I talked with Washington attorney Emmanuel Ogebe. He's a Nigerian who works with Jubilee Campaign U.S.A. on their Justice for Jos project.

Emmanuel asks our viewers to pray for Nigeria and urge the U.S. State Department and the U.S. Congress to designate the militant Nigerian group Boko Haram a terrorist organization. This would help fund efforts to combat these Islamic extremists who are targeting Nigerian Christians and churches for attack. At least 24 churches, more than one every other week, have been attacked so far this year.

For more on the Mubi Christian college student massacre--the worst college campus attack in Nigerian history--watch my interview with Emmanuel Ogebe here:

Print     Email to a Friend    posted on Monday, October 08, 2012 4:19 PM

# RE: New Details in the College Student Massacre in Nigeria

I will rather die like those Christians than die from cancer or accident or any other way.
It is an honer to die as a martyr, but woe to the killers if they should die without Christ.
Left by JESUSMAN on Oct 08, 2012 10:14 PM

# matyrs

When I saw the pictures of the slain youth while they were alive, I doubted their salvation but after learning of their refusal to deny the Lord Jesus Christ at the point of death, oh how greatly relieved I am! Praise God! More saints in heaven, not hell! Halleluia!
Left by Abebe Abraham on Oct 09, 2012 6:28 AM

# RE: New Details in the College Student Massacre in Nigeria

This is the treatment we Cristians can expect if muslim brotherhood advocate in chief obama gets reelected.
Left by pdunc1013 on Oct 09, 2012 12:35 PM

# RE: New Details in the College Student Massacre in Nigeria

This is why we must defeat the President in November as he is friendly to the MB in Egypt and send them our money too.
Left by KellieC on Oct 10, 2012 12:03 PM

# RE: New Details in the College Student Massacre in Nigeria

This is so sad,their belief attacked,standing firm w/ what they believe in.then again Jesus said, we would go thru things,cause of our belief. I wonder, could i? Is my faith that strong, can i stand, Lord help us all... Those who believe, wel .were in america, & yes we do face the enemy/who works thru humans,us. Lord,help us to stand 4 U,in whatever u call us into...Help us to know our call,&take that step of Faith,knowing in our heart,we wil end w/U. When we see already in our small courts/judges,helpin sharee law? Ppl its happening,right before our eyes,in America...maybe small,thats the enemys way in. If u think it cant,yur wrong! Take our blinders off,dear Lord, help us again,not 2be fooled by our enemy, kill,stel&destroy,&a liar he is. Teach us well,show us how just 1step doing yur wil,wil help. Just 1 vote can change the outcomes,just 1,Jesus woulda done it for,at the CROSS. I pray all.of us,wil pic up that cross,& do it.What he cald us 2 do.No matter how small it may look orBe.
Left by Encourager on Oct 12, 2012 2:09 PM

# RE: New Details in the College Student Massacre in Nigeria

All those involved with this attack shall live as blind people! This I decree as a Jewish believer in Christ in the name of Jesus the Christ!
Left by WisdomSpeak on Oct 13, 2012 5:19 PM

# RE: New Details in the College Student Massacre in Nigeria

This breaks my heart. No one should die because of their beliefs, their name, or because they are different.

I pray those who did this to see the wrongness of murder. I pray the darkness will be replaced with light and the hatred be replaced with love, that the anger be replaced with peace, the actions changed to be life giving help to make where they live a better place.

I pray for these enemies of life that they would know truth and be delivered from lies they have believed. I pray they can forgive themselves. I pray comfort to those crying in pain because of the loss of loved ones. I pray they will find the grace to forgive.
Left by Regie on Oct 16, 2012 12:30 PM