Overcoming Addictions - Help for Christians

Christians and non-Christian alike battle with addictions and other behaviors that they find themselves struggling to leave behind. Through faith in Jesus Christ and placing emotional and spiritual health as attainable goals, we can all be overcomers.

This blog, produced by Certified Recovery Specialist Beth Livingston, is for people to exchange struggles and victories of breaking free from addictions and other hurtful behaviors.

Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

sad womanby Nathalie Jeter
Guest Writer

Those who have experienced depression will tell you it’s like a light switch has been turned off in their soul. “Just get over it” is not an option. Thinking positive thoughts simply doesn’t cut it. Being told that depression is selfish or that they should spend more time praying often makes matters worse, not better.

I wonder if Jesus was talking about depression when he made reference to “how great is that darkness” in the passage below:

The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! Matt. 6:22-23 (NIV, emphasis mine)

Like many passages in the Bible, these words can be taken literally or figuratively. If your eyes are bad (i.e. if you are blind) then all you can see is darkness; if your eyesight is good, you can see the bright sun, blue sky, leafy trees – your whole perspective changes. But figuratively, if your eyes are bad (i.e. if your outlook is bleak) then you can end up in an emotional darkness that leaves you feeling helpless and alone.

And speaking of being helpless and alone, do you remember those miners rescued last October in Chile? They were in darkness for 69 long, hot, scary, miserable days. When they were finally lifted to the light, they had to put on sunglasses even indoors to shield their sensitive eyes, especially from the bright lights of the TV cameras wanting to capture their every move.

How bright the world seems to those who have been in darkness! How full of joy and optimism the miners’ hearts were as they were rescued and literally brought from darkness to light!

“I buried 40 years of my life down there,” said Mario Sepulveda, one of the miners. “I think I have learned a lot of wonderful lessons about taking the good path in life.”

The same is true when God rescues us from the darkness of ignorance and sin. Our hearts are overjoyed when we first begin to grasp the light of salvation and the hope, peace, and joy that come as part of the “complete package.”

But sometimes even as Christians our perspective slips. Our eyes grow dark again, and we go through times of depression and sadness that nothing seems to help. Where is the One who will rescue us? How great is that darkness.

Even King David, a man after God’s own heart, cried out:

“How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? Look on me and answer, O Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death.” Psalm 13:1, 3 (NIV, emphasis mine)

Do you suffer with pain so deep that you can’t even share it with your closest friends? Are you tired of feeling helpless and hopeless? You may be going through a season where you want to cry out, “Lord, is there anyone else up there I can talk to?” But whether you fall into a literal pit or a figurative one, God will not leave you in the miry pit forever. He is there to lift you out.

Hold on! Don’t lose hope! The Rescuer is on his way.

Nathalie Jeter is the author of the guidebook PrayerWalk Beijing and blogs about travel, food, and prayer at http://www.prayerwalkguides.com/.

Print      Email to a Friend    posted on Friday, September 02, 2011 3:50 PM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

My divorce for my 39 yr marraige if about to go through. I'm devestated. My husband has backslidden and only cares that we're divorcing because of money. I don't know what to do. My whole life has been so hard. My mother was very abusive and controlling, my husband was as well, i have no one to turn to, my adult children hate him and can't understand why i still love him. everything is such a mess. I know i should believe that the lord will bring my husband back to him but nothing has ever worked before. My mother disowned me when I got married and died hating me. Sometimes i feel that God doesn't care about me, but then I have to repent, and I feel i'm horrible to think this way. I have no one t o talk to. I feel so alone.
Left by robin on Apr 10, 2013 9:15 PM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Robin, your hurt pours out in your post here on this blog. Jesus has been with you through all of this and has seen your hurt. He loves you so very much and has greater purposes for the things we go through than we can ever imagine. May you find your peace solely through crying out to Jesus for his loving comfort. When there's no one to talk to, it may be that Christ has allowed that to be so that you and He can develop better communication. I will be praying for you also my dear sister in Christ.
Left by blivingston on Apr 11, 2013 10:01 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Thank you so much for your reply! Your answer was what I was feeling in my heart, that the Lord wanted me to reach out to Him when I was alone and had no one else. And it worked!I've had depression my whole life, having it lifted only for a while when I was first saved at 18. Blinders have been ripped from my eyes and I see the darkness I've been living in even though I still was a Christian, but not truely walking with the Lord and believing His promises. I attended a local church on Sunday, sat there and wept from the Lord's Spirit washing over me! I know now that I am going to be okay. For the first time in my whole life, I know I'm okay! The Lord is directing my path and guiding me. My husband, I can see so clearly is being decieved and walking in complete darkness. Everyone says that he's beyond help, he's toxic, too evil...but I know the Jesus is stronger than any evil tie that holds Lenny and the Lord will complete the work He began in him 40 years ago!
Left by robin on Apr 16, 2013 8:23 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Praise God! Thank you for sharing your breakthrough with us Robin. Our Jesus is so good! I don't know where the scripture is that speaks about when we seek him with all our heart, but clearly you sought him with yours and Jesus poured out His spirit on you - the anointing of the Holy Spirit, exposing the enemy's lies and clearing away your darkness. Praise God! Praise God!
Left by blivingston on Apr 16, 2013 8:50 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Amen & amen! Thank you, Jesus!
Left by robin on Apr 17, 2013 7:43 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

I've been clinically depressed for a long time. However I hadn't been as depressed during the Holidays as I am now. I think it is because of the sickness and death of my mother 13 almost 14 years ago. She believed me about some personal things that happened to me years ago. However the rest of the family doesn't. I have tried to get 2 of my nieces and one of my nephews to understand my side of things but all I've done is hurt them which was not my intention at all. I've managed to pass on pain that I never wanted to! God please forgive me! that is the last thing I ever wanted to do! Now I am alone and it is very hard to let it go. Seeing my side of the family can be too painful. Please pray that I can let this go once and for all. Thank you.
Left by Beth on Dec 01, 2013 2:06 PM

Praying for your Beth
Left by blivingston on Dec 02, 2013 9:34 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

I am going through a lot, my husband walk out, we are still marry and we have two wonderful kids together, my son is so angry and my little girl acts out for her dad, he said he loves usand want to come back home, but iI don't think he know how, to doing evil things, I just pray that the Lord will bring him back and save him from the darkness.
Left by Ash on Dec 09, 2013 9:22 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Agreeing with you in prayer Ash. May you be strengthened by our Lord Jesus and may peace rule in your family.
Left by blivingston on Dec 10, 2013 9:41 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Thanks it seems like it get harder everyday. My kids act out more. I'm still praying.
Left by Ash on Dec 11, 2013 7:35 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Ash, prayed for you and your situation again this morning. I also came across a book in my library that you might find helpful if you like to read. It's title is "When a Woman Overcomes Life's Hurts" by Cindi McMenamin. If you are interested, it's available through CBN using this link: http://shop.cbn.com/product.asp?sku=9780736948586
or you can find it anywhere books are sold. Regardless, this is surely a difficult time and I pray you will be strengthened by the Lord as this is a time when you might feel weak. Our savior is a mighty warrior to battle depression, hopelessness, fear and I know he will help you get through this.
Left by blivingston on Dec 11, 2013 9:07 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Thank you I will look for the book, thanks again
Left by Ash on Dec 11, 2013 1:16 PM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

I just gave up hope on God and rely on men. I sleep with them just to feel loved and cared. They leave and come back when they like. I'm so tired of this. I want to be godly find a partner who is godly and just remain strong. I feel so useless so lazy like I'm not good for anything. It drives me mad.
Left by jojo on Dec 19, 2013 12:43 PM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Jojo, I am praying for you to have your hope in God restored. It sounds like you know that sleeping with men is a dead end for feeling loved. You just end up feeling bad. You want a different life and Jesus has that for you. Please look up John 8:1-12. It is a wonderful account of what Jesus wants a person to do who is caught up in sin and wants to be free of the undesirable consequences of the sin. He rescues her from a stoning mob and tells her to go and sin no more. This is the picture of repentance, a life that goes in a different direction with Christ. I hope you will allow Jesus to rescue you. If you would like to talk to someone about this, please call CBN's prayer center 1-800-786-8861.
Left by blivingston on Dec 20, 2013 9:32 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

I too have been feeling hopeless and that GOD isn"t caring about me anymore. I had a partial lung removal surgery in August of 2011 and came through that fairly well.but along about January of 2012 I fell into a deep depression and haven't been able to pull myself out of it and feel happiness again. Then my mother died in January of this year and I lost my reason to keep on living as i have no siblings but i do have a good wife who has been patient with me through all of this and i have been trying to draw closer to GOD through prayer and reading of his WORD. I have been in the hospital because of this and am trying to find some medication that will work for and not against me as so many have.I too have suffered with depression for a big part of my life and i,m 57 years old and just wish sometimes JESUS would take me home. Please pray for a change in my mindset and that the depression can lift so I may feel happiness and joy again as i can't remember when i last laughed or smiled much
Left by ben on Dec 20, 2013 11:41 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

I have felt hopeless for many years. I lost my precious twin daughters when they were 14 months old (Christmas, 1978). My battle with severe bipolar depression had intensified to the point that I could not function. my wife could not handle me being so sick, so she took our daughters and moved back to her parents at the order of her father. That was 35 years ago and My twin daughters are now 36 and have given me three grandchildren I do not know. I was in the psychiatric ward 9 times as the meds I was given would not work and my family had given up on me. I could not feel God nor his love as i was so numb from all the meds the doctors were giving me. All I wanted to do was eat and sleep and stay away from people. I was suicidal many times and after I lost in substantial inheritance after my father died in 1990 (over one million dollars ) the same cycle began all over again. Back in the hospital I had to go. I am still not back to normal even though I want to be an asset to God!
Left by john on Jan 16, 2014 5:07 PM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

John, you have certainly lived through many losses and heartaches. I am praying for you, that you would indeed feel God's love, for his anointing power of forgiveness to cleanse you of any resentments and regrets that may have clung to your heart during all these difficulties. Perhaps there are some blessings that God has allowed to happen along the way - people who cared about you and prayed for you - provision for your mental health care - only you can identify the little things God has done in your life. I pray that you will be able to name them, thank God for them, and gain hope as you are guided by the Holy Spirit to identify the times God was working in your life. You have had so many major disappointments.

For me, when I count my blessings during times of despair, I begin to feel the hopelessness lift. I have not experienced what you have, but watched my mother attempt suicide several times as a child. Eventually she died of an overdose. I pray you find your hope in God.
Left by blivingston on Jan 17, 2014 9:48 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

John, We are praying for you that the Lord will lift you up out of this. He is our deliverer and will bring you through this. Jeremiah 29:11 tells us "For I know the plans I have for you' says the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope".
Please call our Prayer Center to pray at 1-800-759-0700. God bless you.
Left by CBN ADMIN on Jan 17, 2014 5:40 PM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

For the past few years I just feel hopeless. I feel terrible about myself and I go through periods where I cannot stand the person I am. I have contemplated suicide before. These negative feelings have taken a toll on my life and my relationship. I love my boyfriend dearly and we want to get married however, when that dark cloud comes over me I am filled with negative thoughts. I feel like he does not love me anymore. That I am a burden. Sometimes I feel like it would be better to end the relationship. But, I also feel like that would be a mistake. Depression leaves me feeling so lost and confused I do not know what to do when it happens. I have never been entirely open to God, I only pray a little bit for my family and friends. But, recently I have been trying to pray to God more often. I have read parts of my bible, it's give me a bit of release. I want to be closer to God and for him to see and help me, with whatever it may take.
Left by kate on Jan 20, 2014 11:55 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

Kate, We are praying for you. God does not see you as terrible or hopeless. He loves you so much, He sent Jesus to ransom you from sin and death to live "life abundantly". Our accuser does not want you to know just who you are in Christ. The Bible tells us the "He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows" so Jesus already knows who and where you are. Please call us at 1-800-759-0700 for prayer and encouragement. God bless you.
Left by CBN ADMIN on Jan 20, 2014 3:00 PM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

I have been feeling in the dark for years, I have been trying to come out myself, but it is imposible, can you help me , part of this may be because I do believe that God wants me close to him thru his son Jesus, but he have give me so much as well why I feel so sad I have pray so much but it is still hard for me to do daily activities.

a cry for help
Left by miriam on Feb 24, 2014 8:48 AM

# RE: Tired of Feeling Hopeless?

I lived at home with my family until I started dating my first boyfriend at 27years old. My mother was a very dominant controlling person and manipulated everyone to get what she wanted. She didn´t care that she was hurting my dad, my brothers or me. I was disowned when I chose to stand up for myself. Now I´m married and the man I am married to is exactly like my mother. We fight all of the time and he kicked me out of the home on Feb. 06 2014 in front of my children ages 8&6. He lied to everyone and said I left. He then went to a lawyer and filed for a divorce after 9 1/2 years. I am stuck in Germany with no family, no friends and no job/money.Those I cry out too refuse to help me. Today I will go try and sell off my jewelry to have money to live on. I am nothing to my husband. He used me he never loved me and he is evil.
Left by misunderstood on Apr 07, 2014 11:28 PM