Scott Ross - Uncut

Scott Ross has won Billboard and Angel Awards for excellence in radio and television. He was also nominated for two Ace Awards for the Straight Talk TV show. Scott has a reputation for confronting challenges head on -- putting problems in God’s perspective. His unique interviewing style gets people talking candidly about sensitive subjects.

Previous "Scott Ross - Uncut" Posts

More from Scott Ross on CBN.com.

Follow Scott Ross on Twitter.

Contact Scott Ross.

Featured Book

Scott Free

Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

Following Whitney Houston’s death On Saturday (February 11,2012) ABC News re-aired an interview conducted originally ten years ago by ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer. In the interview Houston spoke candidly about her drug and alcohol abuse. Although she vehemently denied ever using cocaine, saying, “Crack is wack!” In a later interview with Oprah Winfrey she admitted using the drug.

At the conclusion of the Sawyer interview Houston declared, “All I know is I love Jesus and Jesus loves me!”

Flash forward to Houston’s last public appearance hours before her death. She sang to a room full of party goers the old children’s song, “Jesus loves me, this I know.” She left the party, went upstairs to her hotel room, exhaled her last and died.

At this writing speculation surrounds the cause of her death.

Houston was raised in a church and gospel music environment. Her mother Cissy Houston is a Grammy-award winning gospel singer. Those who knew Houston personally, some of whom my wife Nedra and I are friendly with in the music industry,  attest to the fact that Whitney had a personal relationship with Christ from her youth. Out of her vast repertoire of songs, it is striking that the last song she was to sing publically was, “Jesus loves me.”

“Out of the mouth come the issues of the heart,” and “It is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.” Those are Bible verses.

So what happened?

Again, I didn’t know Whitney Houston personally, and anything I say here is conjecture; but there are lessons here for all of us based in Scripture.

We all live with inner conflicts that are literally a war for our souls. Even Paul the Apostle passionately declared:
“The power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.  Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? I am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.”  (Romans 7.)

I personally believe that was the war that was going on within Whitney Houston.

Sin is real. It is rebellion against God as Paul states, “he covertly rebels.”

So, did Whitney lose? Yes and no. Without getting into all sorts of theological hairsplitting, those of us who embrace Scripture concur with the statement that individuals are not just physical bodies but are made up of “spirit, soul, and body.”

In another Scriptural reference and context, Paul declares that a man who was living in adultery with his father’s wife should be “handed over to Satan for the destruction of the body so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 5)

Whitney Houston’s body was found in the bathtub, but I personally believe that her spirit went on to be with the merciful Savior she confessed.

A couple of other points.

Oprah Winfrey stated (and I don’t consider her an authority) that when Whitney sang, “We got to hear a part of God.” I believe that to be true, since God created Whitney, and imbued her with her gift and voice. And there is another aspect to this.

Scripture talks about anointing. This is an individual who is imbued and consecrated with oil (literally, physically, spiritually) to perform tasks, ordinary, medical, and sacred. The purpose of sacred anointing was to dedicate the thing or person to God. The anointing also symbolizes the person of the Holy Spirit. Thus these people were set apart and empowered for a particular service for God. Jesus Christ Himself is called “the anointed one.”

As I understand it, Whitney was dedicated to the Lord by her family and church, for God’s service. The accompanying “anointing” was God’s confirmation on her singing gift. It is transcendent. How, she used that gift is another matter.

Paul the Apostle also stated that the battle is not only in the human dimension of flesh and blood but also spiritual.

Another battleground for Whitney Houston was the world she was immersed in. The music industry was described in an interview this week by ten time Grammy award singer and Whitney friend Chaka Khan as being “demonic.”  Obviously not all who work in the music industry are “demonized,” but my wife Nedra and I concur with Chaka Khan’s statement that after many years of experience and battles in this arena many are the fallen.

And finally “drugs.”

The Biblical book of Revelation (most of which I don’t understand) describes seven calamities that would intensify and come upon humanity at the “end of the age.” One of those plagues, also called sorceries, and magic is drugs. (The Biblical word used here from the Greek is “pharmakeia.”) Their purpose is to influence people and circumstances through the aid of supernatural power in the unseen world.

Throughout Scripture, magic, the occult, and sorceries are denounced by God as being obscene and brought under His judgment.

Whitney Houston, by her own confession, fought this battle too. We can only trust that the God who knew her “before she was knit in her mother’s womb,” took her to Himself, as a compassionate Savior and heavenly Father.

To underscore Paul the Apostle’s previous cry, question, and answer: “Is there no one who can help me?” The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does.”

I personally speak from experience.

As Grammy host LL Cool J stated at the start of the Grammy show:

“There is no way around this. We’ve had a death in our family. And so at least, for me, the only thing that feels right is to begin with a prayer for a woman, who we loved, to our fallen sister, Whitney Houston.”

Scott Ross

P.S. May I just say that all that is expressed here is my personal opinion and doesn’t necessarily reflect the views of CBN and the church world at large.

What viewers are saying about this post:

"It is such a great post. You really must blog more. Your post are spiritually rich and well written. Your heart for God is so evident."  -- Cheryl

"I think that you are making a mistake in framing Whitney Houston’s life and her demise primarily in religious terms. Your approach off-loads her responsibility at self determination to the realm of pre-determination or pre-ordination. I don’t ascribe to that religious philosophy and what it suggests. We’re not idiots and robots consigned to and controlled by forces that are wholly beyond our abilities to guide and control ourselves. Were it so, we’d have no need for human brains or emotions and all of the other baggage and features that are the essence of our existence."  -- John

"Well spoken!!! … You said EVERYTHING I was thinking… I just couldn’t articulate… you did so beautifully.  I know she is with the Lord… He does not forget His own…" -- Gail

Print      Email to a Friend    posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:48 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Left by L. Lloyd on Feb 16, 2012 8:39 PM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

I concur with Scott's opinion. I believe that we will see Whitney in Heaven. She loved Jesus and I believe that she repented, confessed her sins and asked forgiveness every time she sinned. We all sin, all the time, and hopefully we all, as Christians, repent and ask forgiveness. My husband was a gambler and didn't exactly live his life for the Lord. But he had my Christian influence, his Catholic background, and I know that he believed in Jesus as Savior. Did he have a relationship with Him in his heart? I don't know. But not long after he died, God gave me a dream in which my husband told me to read Ps. 100. From that dream I know that he entered through God's gates with thanksgiving in his heart and entered His courts with praise. Praise God!
Left by vannaburger on Feb 17, 2012 1:32 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

i Love LOVE and LOVE loves .me period!!!
Left by Segun on Feb 17, 2012 7:09 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

i Love LOVE and LOVE loves .me period!!!
WE ALL LOVE LOVE BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US (tm)
Left by Segun on Feb 17, 2012 7:12 AM

I agree with you entirely. Just what I was thinking. God bless you
Left by O Oyewola on Feb 17, 2012 8:13 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

Scott I believe you are right on. Thank you for your sensitive and spiritually perceptive comments. This is a time when our prayers should be for the ones left behind, especially Whitney's daughter who is having such a difficult time. Our God is merciful and compassionate.
Left by Angel D on Feb 17, 2012 10:18 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
~Matthew 7:21

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
~John 14:21

“He who does not love Me will not obey My teaching. These words you hear are not My own; they belong to the Father who sent Me.
~John 14:24

"Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?
~Luke 6:46

“So then, you will know them by their fruits.
~Matthew 7:20
Left by LovedbyHim on Feb 17, 2012 10:25 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

After turning on the tv and hearing the sad news I felt as if I lost a family member.Perhaps through her songs, we all have welcomed Whitney into our lives and homes. I'm sure also that we all war against the same enemy of our soul. That is, the world ,the flesh and the Devil. I'm so grateful for psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.
I agree with you Scott Ross.
Joyfully serving Him,
Pastor Carl
Left by yeshuamoshiach1 on Feb 17, 2012 12:36 PM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

Another gifted singer and actress has fallen to the enemy's lies and addictions of our world. The enemy offers destructive coping mechanisms for pain: drugs, alcohol, sex, fame etc. Only God can heal our pain with His amazing love. I was inspired by so many of her beautiful songs: The Greatest Love of All about loving ourselves as God's sons & daughters. The Preacher's Wife was a wonderful movie with great spiritual lessons and songs of celebration. Whitney was fighting the war between flesh, soul and spirit. She is in Heaven much too soon. She had more gifts of song to record. Yes, Whitney, we will always love you. - Joanna Faith Ross Parrish

Left by joanna on Feb 17, 2012 2:44 PM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

I can only remember the statement the great preacher and pastor Adrian Rodgers made. When asked if Elvis Presley had been a Christian he stated, "if he was I'm glad he didn't tell anyone."
Left by Peggy Holbrook on Feb 17, 2012 4:50 PM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

I, at first wondered if Whitney knew "Jesus loves me" would be the last song she would sing, then I realized that the Holy Spirit knew it even though she didn't. I believe the Spirit prompted her to sing it as a sign and for comfort, not only to her family but also to her brothers and sisters in Christ all over the world. I, like millions, feel like I lost a part of my family. Thank the Lord that we will see her again on the other side! Blessings.
Left by trishklein on Feb 17, 2012 5:58 PM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

I have never used it, but arent CRACK and cocaine two different things?????She admitted to using cocaine which is more expensive than CRACK , isnt it ???
Left by karen denise on Feb 18, 2012 1:03 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

Ok, can we just step back and look at this picture for a moment? Granted, Whitney was gifted, but so are a lot of people, christain or not. Ok, she lived in a so called demon world of music. We all live in a demon world too. The big question here is, "didn't Whitney "CHOSE" to live in that lifestyle"? If she loved Jesus so much why didn't she just stay with the church family? Was that not her chose too?
By saying,"oh, she just let the world get the best of her" and that excuses her from doing what the Bible tells us to do. What about the seed that fell into the weeds? Is that not a real thing?
Yes we all sin, but to me it means to turn-away from sin to repent. What about all the thousands of drug users who have truely repented? Do the "half" hearted repenters get the same reward as them?
Lastly, what about the check points to see if you are "really" in the faith? Do we only apply them, like everything else it says in the bible, whenever we want to?
Left by gary l. brooks on Feb 19, 2012 11:23 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

Thank you Scott for the compassion shown Whitney Houston in your writing. Substance abuse is usually the symptom of a deeply rooted stronghold, and it is very easy to judge a person with the problem, and spew bitterness toward that person. Good thing Jesus covered us with his awesome love and compassion in a fallen world. It is wise to show compassion as a child of God. Think of the message Jesus sent on the subject many times. I have read and heard countless venomous remarks about Ms. Houston, many from Christians, and it breaks my heart! Houston loved Jesus and he loves her. Good job Scott! Praise God!

William Darnell
Left by William on Feb 19, 2012 11:24 AM

For Loved by Him:

This is God's word but don't use it out of context please.Did Jesus quote similar scripture to the Woman about to be stoned? Many of the great men of the Bible were very flawed,but God used them for great things. There are many situations where Mercy is the order of the day, and this is one of them.
Left by William on Feb 19, 2012 11:39 AM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

Who knows what happens the seconds before we die. Petrhaps Whitney, dying, repented of her sins.
"Nothing impure will ever enter it*, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life." - Rev 21:27.
*Heaven.
Left by Collins on Feb 19, 2012 4:17 PM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

No doubt Whitney Houston was given a tremendous gift by God. In her adult life, she chose to use that gift as a professional entertainer in the music industry, just like many Christians who choose to work at "secular" jobs. I think the problem isn't so much what Whitney chose to do with her gift, rather, I think, the tragedy was that she failed to recognize the danger and prepare herself as she walked into a world that is known for it's satanic influences(ie. money, sex, drugs). As a result, in spite of her Christian upbringing and her good intentions, she became prey to the enemy.
I sincerely hope that we all learn something valuable from such tragic story. In big or small ways, the same temptations(the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life) are luring us into a destructive path(Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.), each of us must choose wisely!
Left by NinaBelieves on Feb 19, 2012 4:34 PM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

I am a born again believer, Christ is my personal Lord and Savior and has been for 38 years. Or since I was age 18. One thing I know first hand we have a very Merciful and Redemptive Father and Lord. They sent the Holy Spirit to be our comforter and to guide us individually and collectively into all Truth. If We Believe in and put our Faith in God and Lord fully surrendered this than is our newness in Him. And not the Flesh or Natural Life that one governed us. Jesus Christ all this in His own Spirit....the Truth, Life, Way, Light. I believe Whitney Houston understood this reality deep and stong and I believe she repented and confessed everything to God the Father and he forgave her and took her on home to be with Him. He determines the time and called her home at the right time and perfect time which He set and seen fit to. This world ruled by Satan only comes to steal, kill, and destroy especially, believers.All saints everywhere can not take Satan lightly. I pray we don not.
Left by jesl on Feb 20, 2012 11:12 PM

# RE: Whitney Houston, Jesus, and the Battleground

Great comments, Scott! Those of us who understand and embrace the KING'S language, understand clearly and agree with your comments. She was a great gift to the world at large. She exited at her appointed time. We will miss her, but better yet, we will see her again! Until then, we will continue to listen to her melodious voice.
Left by Joyce Marie on Feb 21, 2012 9:52 PM