ChurchWatch

Join Craig von Buseck weekdays as he shares his perspective on the major trends and news affecting the Body of Christ today.

Personal Prophecy Feedback

What do you think? I want to let readers have an opportunity to express their thoughts on my article, "Doing Personal Prophecy Right in Church."

Give me your feedback on personal prophecy, the gifts of the Spirit, the abuse of prophecy in the church -- or any other thoughts or feelings that you have on this article. Has personal prophecy been a blessing to you, or have you been wounded?

I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Read the article here: Doing Personal Prophecy Right in Church.

Print      Email to a Friend    posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 10:50 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

Strange you never mentioned women prophecy, according to the same Scripture where you are quoting from it says for women to keep silent in church, in other words, they are not to prophesy.
Left by Barbara on Feb 26, 2009 2:18 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

Hello, prophecy from male and female has been such a blessing in my life, i believe some have the gift of 100 percent accuracy, while other gifts of prophecy the prophecy can change through prayer and people changing their ways, such as warning prophecy, THE LORD warns of dire health consequences if a bad habit doesn't cease, or like a friend of mine who saw in a dream that her son was in grave danger, she awoke and prayed against the spirit of death comming in her family and soon after the dream her "other son" the son in her dream was not involved, but the other son was injured in an accident, but fully recovered later, even though it was a different son than the one in dream, she believes if she hadn't prayed her son would have been killed in the accident... prophecy from the Lord spoken to me by prophets has been a tremendous comfort in great times of need....thanx,Suzanne
Left by suzanne on Feb 26, 2009 7:32 PM

No comments.
Left by AM on Feb 26, 2009 9:02 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

It seems to me that there is so much to do in a service that there is little or no time to make a place for the exercise of spiritual gifts like prophecy in our church. This makes me sad. It seems to be a control issue.
Left by wonderful8 on Feb 27, 2009 7:15 AM

To Barbara:

Thank you for your comment. Writing to Timothy, the Apostle Paul instructed him to 'Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.' (2 Tim. 2:15, NASB) So in any biblical doctrine, we are to take the Scriptures as a whole to determine what God is saying on the issue, rather than pulling out one verse and building our belief upon it.

As I point out in the article, Paul writes to the Corinthian Church, "For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. (1 Cor. 14:31, NKJV) He was writing to the entire church here, not just the men. ALL means ALL.

more...
Left by Craig von Buseck on Feb 27, 2009 9:10 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

We see this clearly in the Old Testament book of Joel where the Holy Spirit declares, "It will come about after this that I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days." (Joel 2:28-29, NASB)

Peter quotes this passage in Acts chapter two on the Day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit falls on the men -- and the women -- who are gathered in the upper room.

You see, in Christ, there is neither male nor female, but we are all one in His Spirit.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Gal. 3:28, NASB)

more...
Left by Craig von Buseck on Feb 27, 2009 9:11 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

So when Paul declares that you may ALL prophesy, he is agreeing with the Prophet Joel and the Apostle Peter who declared:

…your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; even on my bondslaves, both men and women, I will in those days pour forth of my spirit and they shall prophesy. (Acts 2:17b-18, NASB)

So rejoice! God sees no distinction between male and female -- all may prophesy, so that the world may know that God is love!
Left by Craig von Buseck on Feb 27, 2009 9:18 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

I actually love when the gifts of the holy spirit flow. One time our pastor in our church put me with someone I completely had no clue about and as I started praying in tongues I saw beautiful picture in my mind of Jesus rubbing that ladies hands with oil. So by faith I spoke what I saw, and she started crying. I had no clue that it was conformation what the Lord had already been showing her and telling her personally. I realized all those images that appear in my mind when I worship or pray was actually a gift, and I was so blessed to start operating in that wonderful gift. The holy Spirit keeps amazing me everytime, and it's wonderful to see the church grow together as one body in the Lord. It's just like family! I love how our pastor walks along with us, where we have room to grow, yet our still being led.
Left by jcpena1129 on Feb 27, 2009 9:02 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

I have sensed for about a year, that the Lord has been giving me 'a word' to correspond with things I have witnessed of a 'spirit of control and manipulation'in our church leadership.The words 'dynasty-territorial' have come to me many times.Just this month,at a meeting,our Polity was disregarded forcing rules on a children's ministry placing it under the wife of our pastor. I was told by my pastor in no uncertain terms that the rules stand. Sitting before my Lord, soaking,I began hearing what He wants me to say. I have been overwhelmed with fear in the flesh, but peace in my spirit. I DO honor the annointing Father has placed on my pastor, and this would be a 'reproving for restoration';according to your article, I should present it to my Pastor first. Apostle Travis touched on this in his Spiritual Gifts Seminar. What should I do and how do I know! I must Trust my Lord, and not fear man. I must be obedient to Him, but don't want to be out of order.Others have left for opposing them.
Left by sshicks_7 on Feb 27, 2009 11:14 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

...unlikely about women not prophesying, in Acts 21:9, the four unmarried daughters of Phillip the evangelist prophesied.
Left by Marcos on Feb 28, 2009 12:54 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

Prophecy is a gift from God to His people. While the rule of "decently and in order" is scriptural, we should be careful not to institute the same type of rules and guidelines that tried to prevent the true prophetic gift (Jesus) from being received in the temple. Prophecy does come for edification, exhortation, and comfort but we have also seem in scripture where it is used to correct leadership as Jesus and Paul did in ministry. When the leadership has to approve each use in church, the Spirit could be hindered on occasion. I believe it is so important to teach thoroughly the gift, allow the Spirit to flow and use love and maturity by two or three to judge if it is of God.
Left by Joyce on Feb 28, 2009 3:59 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

Heard them, wanted one said over me and never had a general statement that fits all believers. Wondered why no one had one for me, and now I don't go to a church that does that.
Seen it hurt people too, and fakes doing it for attention. Know the Word of God says it will be, but today most churches believe in programs to get sober or off addictions, and not in healings either, let alone prophecy
Left by JC on Feb 28, 2009 7:48 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

Ok, i bring up a new topic. Why does someone have to plan out how and when you are to tell someone about Christ? God works in crazy ways!! God is amazing and can do anything!! So why cant we just tell someone about Christ without recording it on a tape? Giving someone the idea of salvation is not something you put in your daily planner, it is something you do for JESUS!!! Plus i an not for or against the whole speaking in languages only God can understand(or the people who are meant to understand them). God is great and He can do anything!!
Left by Emily on Mar 01, 2009 10:05 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

I have really appreciated your teachings on this. I have needed to have someone help me understand personal prophecy and haven't known where to go. I personally receive up to 2 prophetic dreams a week. What I have found is that the church wants and prays for dreams but they don't listen. I was even disciplined harshly for a telling a warning dream. So now I am praying for our church to "Let the prophet who has a dream, tell his dream..." in Jer. 33:28. I do not think we are ready to really hear what the Lord wants to say. May the Lord open our ears and hearts to receive His Word which is like fire.
Left by servant of God on Mar 02, 2009 12:02 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

As a woman, I heed the word to cover my head if praying or prophesying in church. I simply place my hand on my head if I don't wear a scarf that day. I was given a correction and warning to give my pastor (at the time) many years ago, and believe me I was in fear and trembling! I asked the Lord why he would want me, a woman, to give a man a severe warning from Him and why he didn't just use a man. The Lord answered that He can use the "least" among us to judge His church, and no one else saw the truth. That pastor was controlling, and operating in a spirit of occultism instead of the Holy Spirit; telling people to come to him if they wanted to "know what your future holds". The Lord told me to warn him that if he didn't repent he would have his position taken from him. He didn't listen and three months later was fired by his church (a United Church of Christ which opposed
the "charismatic" meetings going on), and took a position as an assistant pastor in a distant state.
Left by Noreen L on Mar 03, 2009 9:39 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

Just last week, I received a "personal prophecy." I do not know this person, and it scared me. I've been seeking the Lord after a job loss, and this "word from the Lord" was condemning. I asked my Pastor and he asked me if it lined up with Scripture. I said no. I believe the enemy was using an over zealous Christian to upset me and cause me fear.
Please be careful and truly seek God before giving a "word" to someone...
Left by Loretta on Mar 03, 2009 1:47 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

Here is my question for you. Were is the prophecy on the return of the Lord Jesus Christ? You have said nothing on His return. Over 500 prophecy has been fulfilled. and 5oo to be fulfilled. I would bet you if you took a survey not one in 10,000 would have any idea of what you are talking about. The clock of Christ return is not on your wrist. It is on Israel what part of this prophecy am I missing. It is here and it is coming. Ezk 38-39 is here. I just don't understand why this is kept so quite. What is ever body afraid of. I call myself the "watch man on the wall". Ezk 3:16-21; 33:1-9
God Bless you
L Eddy
Left by lawrence eddy on Mar 03, 2009 3:12 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

I believe that people young in the Lord should not just be going about giving prophetic words. There are a lot of personal prophecies that are downright baloney. They are either coming from the flesh of the "prophet", or straight from hell itself. I have seen too many people hurt or led down the wrong path by false prophecies. Accuracy about circumstances in a person's life is not an indication of a prophecy being from God. There are familiar spirits out there. Having said that, I believe the parts of the article where it states that if a pastor is not around you should tape record it or write it down are incorrect. There or no scriptures to back this up. This sounds a lot like the Sheparding Movement. The need for "covering" is a pastor's code word for control. Been there, experienced it, seen too many people hurt by it.
Left by jotro on Mar 04, 2009 12:02 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

"Perhaps the biggest misconception regarding personal prophetic ministry is that it should be spoken in judgmental, condemning, or rebuking ways. New Testament personal prophecy is always to be given for the purpose of edification, exhortation and comfort." I personally have never witnessed this, but only the opposite where it is only spoken in ways that are flattering to the receiver. I Cor 14:3 "But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men." I think the writer of the article may not realize that the definition of exhort is "to urge earnestly by advice, warning, etc.(to do what is proper or required); to admonish strongly" Webster's New World Dictionary. So while I agree a personal prophecy can be given to build up or comfort a receiver, there are definate times a prophecy can be to warn or admonish a receiver. As long as the word is truly from God and is given in the love of God.
Left by jotro on Mar 04, 2009 12:24 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

We have personal prophecy in our church all the time. After church we have teams for healing prayer deliverance and prophecy and you can go to whichever your in need of or all of them for prayer etc.
Left by sawyer on Mar 07, 2009 8:00 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

my husband and I received a word of knowledge that was spoken over us by a guest prophet at the church we attended and it was exactly what we'd been praying about and we hadnt told anyone anything about it so i truly feel it was from God but it still hasnt come to pass yet does any one have anything to say about this
Left by s on Apr 07, 2009 11:23 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

The word should be recorded or written down so the onr recieving the word Especially if it is a long one can listen to it over and over. I have had the same word given to me by 8 different people over the years that didn't know each other.Words have a condition that we as children of God must live surrendered lives to the Lord for some of these words to come true and others like words of rebuke or judgement to not happen we must surrender
Left by HEB.4:12 on Apr 09, 2009 8:58 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

There are issues of fear of man and control that can masqurade as "being pastoral" The church I attend has become controlling and prescriptive in the way that prophecy is to be brought, but I do not honestly see the pattern which they haave adopted - and which you appear to advocate - in scripture. I'm not 100% certain that the leader of the church DOES actually bear the responsibility for what is brought. We cannot blame him if something is offered which is not right, nor give him praise if the word is edifying. Isn't the prophet answerable to God in the first instance, rather than to man? If the Spirit of prophecy is subject to the prophet, why does it also have to be subject to a minister who may not even have discernment? How do we maintain a righteous, humble attitude to having a prophetic word to give, honouring our leaders and our congregation and at the same time not become subject to the spirit of Ahab(fear of man) or Jezebel (control)?
Left by P on May 15, 2009 10:08 AM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

Ok, well I have had "inspirations" and "prophecies" that I wasnt even looking for since i was 10. I mean, what 10 year old is interested in that stuff? Right. I wasn't either... but they happened. I don't get "words of knowledge" from other people i notice, but I get my own about my own, sometimes distant future and about situations and those close to me or that I know to some extent.

I don't know what that means, but there it is...

One of the most significant ones, was that God told me I would have only one son at a "time and in a way NOT of my choosing" things about him, his birthday and a bunch of other things. Also about cancer as to why i would only ever have one...

I tried forgetting the power of that revelation, and for the most part i was successful, but 6 yrs later most of the things came to pass, and then 4 years later cancer.
Left by Laura on Aug 20, 2009 6:12 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

My only child (my son) also appears to have the "gift of prophecy"... when he was about to turn 9, he asked if we could go to the bowling alley by the park for his birthday. He added: we have never been there before and it might be the last chance we'll ever have. I said the last chance we'll ever have? what do you mean? He said: I don't know, I just feel like it will be the last chance we'll have to go there.

A week after his party the bowling alley burned to the ground.
Left by Laura on Aug 22, 2009 1:23 PM

# RE: Personal Prophecy Feedback

1.) I must line up with the Bible completely. If not, even in part, the whole of it should be rejected. satan quoted Scripture, only tweaked a little, when tempting Jesus.
2.) God will tell the person individually before He has someone else tell them. Prophecy should be what in refernce to what God has already placed in your heart. He doesn't call people to ply part of the Holy Spirit, but we are called to encourage.
Left by Chaya on Jul 07, 2011 12:07 PM